Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Won an iPad...

Options
  • 20-06-2010 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

...and just in time for my first Father's Day, too :)

I'm sure a few of you saw the competition in Dunnes / Tesco, etc. It was run by Dove Men's Healthcare (it was of the style "Text BLAH to BLAH"). I got the call on Friday letting me know, what the arrangements are, etc.

They basically have a few iPads reserved, so whenever they officially arrive in the country, I'll be sent mine. However, what I didn't ask was what version it was. Would anyone have any idea / care to hazard a guess? Is it the case here whereby the Wifi version is coming out first followed by the 3G version?

To be honest, I don't have any particular desire for the 3G version with the exception of the GPS functionality. To the best of my knowledge, that's not in the wifi version (right?).

Might be nice for folks to know that people *do* actually win these type of competitions from time to time! There's no way I would have bought an iPad, but I always said "If I won one or was given one, that'd be a different story".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

best thing to do is sell it ... oh and congrats OP !!

Its just like an iphone - first couple of generations will always have niggling problems, the next one is always better...sell it and make a couple of hundred quid to spend on yourself and/or the missus/family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Id say it will be the WiFi version! Also congrats, your a lucky man!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Congrats OP

Offer ya €100 and 4 packets of Tayto for it ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭guil

scudzilla wrote: »
    Congrats OP

Offer ya €100 and 4 packets of Tayto for it ;) :P
    i'll add a mars bar and possibly a snickers to that offer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

The iPad goes to the first person who offers me a Marathon bar. Thanks for all the congratulations, folks :)

Yeah, I've considered selling it... I'll see what kind of offers are going before I open it. That being said, I don't know if I'd ever actually buy an iPad myself so I may just take this as an opportunity to enjoy it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

WetDaddy wrote: »
    The iPad goes to the first person who offers me a Marathon bar. Thanks for all the congratulations, folks :)

Yeah, I've considered selling it... I'll see what kind of offers are going before I open it. That being said, I don't know if I'd ever actually buy an iPad myself so I may just take this as an opportunity to enjoy it!

As the mammy always said: never sell your luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

whiterebel wrote: »
    As the mammy always said: never sell your luck.

This, and congrats! :)

Oh...if you want to give it to me for a Marathon bar I won't say no :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Well done.

Neither model has a true GPS. The Wifi & 3G unit has A-GPS which uses Cell towers. Not accurate in the slightest except to give you a vague idea of where you are.

However, if the 3G is what your after, it wouldn't surprise me if eventually the iPad (Wifi) officially or unofficially supported tethering to a mobile phone. It already does through MyWi (or however its spelt :) )

I was pretty sure that A-GPS *wasn't* a lesser form of GPS, but rather an intelligent application of available data, i.e. uses wifi / 3G to hone in on a rough area before the GPS radio takes over. Is that not true?

One thing's for certain: only the 3G version has *some* kind of GPS functionality.

Good point about tethering; I always have my iPhone with me anyway, so that'll suffice if I REALLY need it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

ironclaw wrote: »
    Well done.

Neither model has a true GPS. The Wifi & 3G unit has A-GPS which uses Cell towers. Not accurate in the slightest except to give you a vague idea of where you are.

However, if the 3G is what your after, it wouldn't surprise me if eventually the iPad (Wifi) officially or unofficially supported tethering to a mobile phone. It already does through MyWi (or however its spelt :) )
    That is entirely wrong.

That is entirely wrong.

That is entirely unhelpful.

;)

Care to elaborate? Is my assumption correct, in that case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

WetDaddy wrote: »
    That is entirely unhelpful.

;)

Care to elaborate? Is my assumption correct, in that case?

Yes.

Yes.

Wow. You *are* efficient; answering two questions with a single word. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rubywoo

Congrats, am not jealous or anything......;)

Enjoy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

A nice win, enjoy it all the more that you didn't have to go through the guilt of buying it over and above something more important!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Congrats on the win, I won a 16gb WIFI model a few weeks ago, should recieve it for mid next week. I have the Snugg case and a screen protector reay to go and can not wait. down side is i am now selling my Mac Book Pro as the iPad will replace this as my mobile device.

ahh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Going to put my hands up and say my post abut the GPS was wrong. Usually GPS is listed in features as GPS and A-GPS. One being the satellite system and the other being the helping hand from cell towers etc. Apple just listed A-GPS which obviously covers the two.

Link: http://www.gpsreview.net/ipad-gps-navigation-preview/

The iPad 3G Version has a GPS system on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

I have a marathon bar,

but you can p1ss off if you think you'll get it off me for some crappy ipad

......on second thoughts has anybody tasted an ipad ?:confused:?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

soundsham wrote: »
    I have a marathon bar,

but you can p1ss off if you think you'll get it off me for some crappy ipad

......on second thoughts has anybody tasted an ipad ?:confused:?

I have tasted the iPad, they taste like Unicorn...mmmm Unicorn spare ribs.:D:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

mad muffin wrote: »
    I have tasted the iPad, they taste like Unicorn...mmmm Unicorn spare ribs.:D:p
    With Jack Daniels sauce from TGI's:D

Advertisement