Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai clampdown on "Airsoft" in markets ??

Options
  • 20-06-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

AT Balbriggan market this morning, Gardai taking a hard line with sellers of rif's. Good to see and hopefully it will continue at other locations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Nice to see the new RIF laws being enforced, makes all the hard work done by the legitimate retailers pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Oh no!! You mean I can't buy cheap, crappy, overpriced pellet guns at the markets anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

thats some of the best news ive heward all year i have 4 friends who wont save up and buy a decent gun instead they buy these crap sping things for like 40 euro and they brake so easy but they buy them out of the back of a van not a market :mad::mad::mad:

thats some of the best news ive heward all year i have 4 friends who wont save up and buy a decent gun instead they buy these crap sping things for like 40 euro and they brake so easy but they buy them out of the back of a van not a market :mad::mad::mad:

No sympathy for them whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

Are the guns illegal? (i'm unsure of the current law tbh).
    If so, well done Gardaí.

If not then it doesn't seem right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

If so, well done Gardaí.

If not then it doesn't seem right.

It's this sort of crap (selling in the market) that casts a negative slant on airsoft. That we can do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

As far as I'm aware you can only sell them now if you're a licenced trader in RIF but I'm not sure if the licencing apparatus has been set up yet. I believe there are also conditions on a store selling RIF (fully enclosed, no RIF visible to the outside, lockup in the back etc ...).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Well its deffinatley nice to see them putting in the work on it instead of just whining about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

well the licensing laws a still not in place at the moment so it is more likely the restrictions on rifs in public is being enforced

good to see the start of action on the cowboys

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Balbriggan market is regularly raided not only because of Airsoft items but because of the vast amount of stolen goods that are allegedly sold there. I do happen to know a few market managers who are actually very concerned about airsoft items being sold and blanket ban them.

• Advertisement

Wait, if you can only sell them if you are a licensed trader, then what will happen withe the adverts section?

J.D.R wrote: »
    Wait, if you can only sell them if you are a licensed trader, then what will happen withe the adverts section?

the licencing system is still not in place so at the moment you can still import and sell rifs as long as they comply to the 1 joule rule

for information on personal sales 'when' the licensing system is in place you need to have a look at the iaa document on the MPB

http://irishairsoft.ie/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/airsoft_the_mpb_and_you.pdf
    Personal Sales
    Section 9(D) Paragraph 1 would appear to restrict the private sale of Airsoft devices. There is some debate on this matter.
    It would not make sense to restrict the private sale of an item that may be bought without license or identification in a shop.
    It is our impression that most retailers would not be interested in second-hand sales. If private sale is not allowed, many
    Airsoft devices may end up in the wrong hands, in landfill sites to be found, or worse still on a 'black market' for Airsoft
    devices.
    The difficulty of policing private sales has also been pointed out. The IAA will be seeking clarification on this matter
    directly, and strongly recommending that private sales be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Puding wrote: »
    the licencing system is still not in place so at the moment you can still import and sell rifs as long as they comply to the 1 joule rule

for information on personal sales 'when' the licensing system is in place you need to have a look at the iaa document on the MPB

http://irishairsoft.ie/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/airsoft_the_mpb_and_you.pdf

FWIW, the DoJ made it clear to the IAA committee last year (in person) that the intention was not to restrict private sales.

nice to hear, was it posted anywhere?

nice to hear, was it posted anywhere?

Not that I can see or remember but it was covered in more than one face to face conversation. It is out of the scope of the bill due to the phrasing "by way of trade or business"

*Why do I feel another epic CJA OMG AIRSOFT IS BAZNED tread coming..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

fayer wrote: »
    OMG AIRSOFT IS BAZNED tread coming..... :rolleyes:

What:eek: airsoft is banned????? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded

We should ban people talking about people banning airsoft :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

so we can still purchase guns off the net and get them shipped in, with no issues?

MindPhuck wrote: »
    so we can still purchase guns off the net and get them shipped in, with no issues?

as it stands at the moment yes, as long as the one joule rule is followed, at the moment all parcels from outside the eu seem to be being inspected, had a parcel with a couple of pouches from Russia stopped just a few days ago first time in 3 years anything stopped from Russia, so anything rif shaped i would imagine will draw there attention even more so could go away for testing

MindPhuck wrote: »

I would say as many issues as we have always had :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

I don't know why you would order it now with the amount of retailers that offer to order stuff in for you. Just seems silly to me to take the risk :)

have to agree, the euro exchange does not help as well

if im buying a rif from outside Ireland then for the last 6+ months it has been inside europe, UK,Austria for example if i can not find it domestically

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

swiftblade wrote: »
    I don't know why you would order it now with the amount of retailers that offer to order stuff in for you. Just seems silly to me to take the risk :)

I'm not sure I follow what you mean, what risk?
    Surely if you don't break the law (make sure the gun is below 1J/have it downgraded) then there is no risk...

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

glad to see it happen. sure there only crap springers anyways.
    it will do the sport no good if they continue to sell these in markets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Dread-Lock wrote: »
    I'm not sure I follow what you mean, what risk?
    Surely if you don't break the law (make sure the gun is below 1J/have it downgraded) then there is no risk...

Well there is more risk involved than just poping down to your local airsoft retailer. ;)

Even if you are ordering a GBB or AEG there have been people that have lost them due to being "over the limit" . Usely happens with GBB when they test it with CO2 instead of Gas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

swiftblade wrote: »
    Well there is more risk involved than just poping down to your local airsoft retailer. ;)

Even if you are ordering a GBB or AEG there have been people that have lost them due to being "over the limit" . Usely happens with GBB when they test it with CO2 instead of Gas :)

"An air gun (including an air rifle and air pistol) with a muzzle energy greater than one joule or any other weapon incorporating
    a barrel from which any projectile can be discharged with such a muzzle energy "

Unfortunately the word can is to blame for that. If you can send it harder with CO2, even though it was not designed for CO2, then it is considered in law as the real deal. Very unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

so are all gas airsoft rifs illegal cos you "can" put co2 in them or what is the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Tigger wrote: »
    so are all gas airsoft rifs illegal cos you "can" put co2 in them or what is the story?

Same here, what about AEGs because you "can" put MS180 springs in them.

Sure that quote ain't taken out of context?, because if it is the way it is anything airsoft "can" fire over 1J depending on what you do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

I seriously doubt that the garda ballistics office is putting co2 gas into guns when they should be using green gas etc. They are intelligent people who know what they are doing. From what I have heard, they are very aware of the differences between the various propulsion methods and do not mix them up. To do so would make a mockery of the whole process they go through as they could potentially be using incorrect procedures to determine evidential proof in a possible criminal matter.
    Give them some credit - they wouldnt do that at the risk of being bollocked by a judge.

Lets just assume they put the correct gas in because they are capable of reading the manual that comes with the gun, and lets just move on without mentioning this bull again.

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »

Of course they are Tigger, you better go add another layer to that tinfoil hat of yours now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement