Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE World cup panel

Options
  • 20-06-2010 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi All

Just watching RTE2 online. The Panel for the Slovakia - paraguay match includes Liam Brady and "Ossie". Ossie is Argentinian ( Thanks Melion ), but he is really heavily accented and is extremely hard to understand. His english is perfect, but we all here are having great difficulty understanding him ... is it just us or is anyone else having prroblems understanding him

Shame really, as RTE's panels are usually very very good

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Ossie Ardiles, argentinian

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi.
    Yeah, he is pretty difficult to understand.
    Pity as he has oodles of experience in football.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osvaldo_Ardiles

• Registered Users Posts: 49 flame123

Thanks Melion, He was one of the greatest players..not sure about listening to him though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

it takes a while to get use to way he speaks, but he becomes understandable after 15 mins of listening to him :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

flame123 wrote: »
    Hi All

Just watching RTE2 online. The Panel for the Slovakia - paraguay match includes Liam Brady and "Ossie". Ossie is Argentinian ( Thanks Melion ), but he is really heavily accented and is extremely hard to understand. His english is perfect, but we all here are having great difficulty understanding him ... is it just us or is anyone else having prroblems understanding him

Shame really, as RTE's panels are usually very very good

You should try listening to Adebayor on the BBC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

argosy2006 wrote: »
    it takes a while to get use to way he speaks, but he becomes understandable after 15 mins of listening to him :pac:

A few weeks ago I heard Ardiles and Hamann on RTE Radio being interviewed about the world cup and their new positions as pundits on the RTE coverage, and I immediately thought "nobody is going to be able to understand Ardiles".. But as with anything the more you listen to him, the more you understand.
    Minstrel27 wrote: »
    You should try listening to Adebayor on the BBC.
    Yeah, I cannot understand a single word he is saying..

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

Slightly hard to understand, but he definitely knows his stuff, and it's a nice little coup for RTE to have a World Cup winner on the panel, let's face it, apart from the 66 winners, the rest all have foreign accents............

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Great addition to the panel imo...yes heis difficult to understand but I reckon i can get used to his accent.

'Ossie', Giles and Brady would be the best panel imo

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

His opinion should be mental. Didn't he play like 5 strikers for spurs in one game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

He definitely knows his stuff, he's been very good today. Its my first time seeing him, and as someone else said, just listen to him for a few minutes and you'll have no trouble understanding him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Can understand every second word Ossy says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Mick Daly

Himself and Dunphy had a bust-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Happy enough with foreigners on the panel, Hamann almost has an english accent. Love hearing different experienced accents on the panel though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

amacachi wrote: »
    Happy enough with foreigners on the panel, Hamann almost has an english accent. Love hearing different experienced accents on the panel though. :)

No, Hamann doesn't has an English accent, but he most definitely has a scouser one :D

I like Ossie, brings a bit of South American perspective to the WC (all of their teams are doing well). RTE can be well proud of their pundits compared to the competition.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    No, Hamann doesn't has an English accent, but he most definitely has a scouser one :D
    Scouser is part of Dublin England last I checked! Love how noticeable it is. :pac:

Mick Daly wrote: »
    Himself and Dunphy had a bust-up.

Who, Ardiles? I must have missed this ... what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,936 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Didn't have any problem understanding him,Adebayor for BBC on the other hand is ridiculous

Who, Ardiles? I must have missed this ... what happened?

It was in todays Irish Mail on Sunday but Ardiles denied it. Supposedly he said to Dunphy - ""Do you know who I am, what have you won?"

It was in todays Irish Mail on Sunday but Ardiles denied it. Supposedly he said to Dunphy - ""Do you know who I am, what have you won?"

Nice.:D

That's not fair.. Everybody on the panel can say that to him... Like being the only kid in the class wearing glasses.. :)

• Advertisement

Baby, Baby, Baby, Ohhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Liam Brady drives me nuts. He always sounds half asleep.

I DUNNNOOOO BIIIIILLLLL.

Chippy's head looks like an egg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Chippy's head looks like an egg.

liam-brady-shrek.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Beaucoupfish

I can understand him okay. His accent is heavy but it's good to have a South-American perspective. RTE Sport are doing a fine job once again. The English punditry has been shocking.

I agree with this article written a few days ago

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39The-level-of.6364084.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Pity Didi is gone, out of all the panelist's i thought his views made the most sense! His view of why the England team are suffering was interesting, and refreshing oppossed to Graeme "The Altitude" Souness! Sad to see Didi leave the panel.. Havent caught much of Ossie although nice to see Dunphy's breaking him in hard! Vintage Dunph!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

Pity Didi is gone, out of all the panelist's i thought his views made the most sense! His view of why the England team are suffering was interesting, and refreshing oppossed to Graeme "The Altitude" Souness! Sad to see Didi leave the panel.. Havent caught much of Ossie although nice to see Dunphy's breaking him in hard! Vintage Dunph!

ya have to say i got to really like didi and now hes gone:( was a very good analyist, i usually agreed with most of what he said. pity he couldnt stay for the whole tournament. not sure about ossie, not as personable as didi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Alan Hansen

The English punditry has been shocking.

I agree with this article written a few days ago

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39The-level-of.6364084.jp

Take that back.

Pace,movement and desire. 4 golden words of football analysis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Why's he gone? I missed any news about that, is it just his contract is up, or was there some other reason?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

pixelburp wrote: »
    Why's he gone? I missed any news about that, is it just his contract is up, or was there some other reason?

well he is taking up a player manager role with mk dons so i think pre-season starts jul 1st. maybe he wants a bit of break or he has other things on before this.

Advertisement