Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi riding gear - any good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Although, I've never bought anything from Aldi etc., I would say the Jodhpurs would be fine for an 11 year old who will grow out of them. I just wouldn't trust helmets and back protectors from those shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

The jodphurs would be fine, as sup dude said she'l grow out of them anyways. The gloves would be fine too, best to get a few cheap pairs as I find they tend to go walkabout easily!

The boots however I wouldn't get as there not riding boots, there more for just working around the stable, mucking out etc. I might be wrong in saying this but, I don't think riding schools would let you wear them since if she fell off her foot could get caught in the stirup because they are clumpier than your average riding boot, thats what I was told anyways, I turned up in something similar in the beginning as I found it hard to get proper fitting boots and was told not to wear them next week, these are the ones im looking at on the website anyways http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_13258.htm maybe theres a different pair that I can't see?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Very useful advice there guys. Thanks.

I think I'll get the Jodphurs and gloves as these are expendable.

Worth getting welly type boots somewhere as 'dee o gee' said their could be a serious safety issued if she fell off and got dragged along the ground even if only for a short time.

Something like this looks to be good value; http://www.equestrianclearance.com/matchmakers/harry_hall_long_rubber_riding_boots_childrens/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Some RS (riding schools) will provide foot wear as well as hats. As she is just starting out there is no need to run out and buy all the stuff. When I started donkey years ago I wore an old pair of lace up shoes that had a slight heel on them.

If you want to get some second hand gear try putting a notice up in the RS or ask around.

I wouldn't trust the hats from Lidl/Aldi, there is the fitting issue but also hats getting knocked about while in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

If you're looking for good value, I would shop around and look for the cheapest shop. Also try ebay and other website. Concerning items that have much to do witht the protection of the rider (i.e jodhpurs, boots), I would get the cheapest possible.

To be completely honest, it was a year before I got boots, jodhpurs etc. Before that I just used tracksuit bottoms, runners and the riding schools helmets. I had foot stops in my stirrups. I didn't get anything until I was sure I was going to stick at the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

You get what you pay for. I've gone through countless cheap items so I've given up and just invested in quality. If you are looking for good quality brands I'd recommend Aigle and Musto. Never skimp on cheap hats or body protectors though, it's not worth it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

If your daughter is only just starting out riding, then picking up a few cheap items, such as jodhpurs and gloves, in Aldi is fine. There's no point in spending a fortune on something that she may not continue.

However, as mentioned above, I'd look elsewhere for some of the 'safety' gear such as helmets and back protectors. The equipment in Aldi may not comply with the minimum safety standards required for riding schools and competitions.

The boots that are in the link above are fine for around the yard, but are more 'muckers' than riding boots. It'd be best to buy her a pair of boots. My preference would be to buy a pair of jodhpur boots (the short boots) and a cheapish pair of half chaps. They allow much more flexibility of the ankle than rubber riding boots and are easier to ride in. They also tend to have a thinner than a pair of long riding boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 xBadWolfx

Johdpurs and boots fine, but if the helmets and back protectors don't have the kite mark - I wouldn't buy them :rolleyes:

As I started this thread I thought I'd give an update.
    Went to Aldi after daughter finished school at 2.30pm.
    Boots and most Jodphurs sold out.
    Jodphurs look good to me and other horsey people who were looking at them. Unfortunately not her size.

Wouldn't bother queing for Aldi to open to get what I want. They stock very little of their specials and maybe make a few Euro on the shopping people do while there.

Will get plastic boots for now and maybe get jodphurs on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

our store hadn't had any of the kids jods in at all - some problem with them...apparently to come in at a later date.

For a child who's just after starting riding lessons and is still growing rapidly, 8.99 seemed pretty reasonable to me.

I've had a few pairs of Tesco jods from the UK and they've surprised me with comfort, wear and quality after washing - better fit than my Harry Halls too....

• Advertisement

Tesco in nenagh, Tipperary, had riding gear and helmets last week. Might still have some in stores around the country. Must check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I heard Tesco in Lucan had the riding gear too, not sure now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Newgirl

My two daughters have started lessons recently. Tesco Maynooth has hats and jodphur boots all yr round bout €30 each. In England they have more horsey stuff. Hubbie got the gloves in Aldi on the way to school nearly had to beat the mammys to get at them. The great thing about being in the beginners class is everyone is wearing the same regular stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 liza22

my other half runs a major equestrian brand in Ireland, and we had a nosey at some of the gear in aldi, as well as that in Tesco.
    The Aldi stuff is terrible. We know the Indian supplier they're coming from, and it is the worst of the worst as far as the boots are concerned. Like people have said, work away on the jods! But personally I'd advise you to stay away from boots, hats and any other safety equipment. As far as I'm aware the hats are not kitemarked. I very much doubt they go through the rigorous testing the other half's hats go through, along with those from all other well known suppliers.
    The Tesco stuff is fine, even the hats. They are all supplied by a well known UK brand...

Advertisement