Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pebbles over concrete

Options
  • 20-06-2010 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi. I have an old back yard with terrible cracked concrete that is not level. I plan to build an extension in this area in about 2-3 years time. In the meantime I was thinking of covering in pebbles. Apart from the downside of walking on this, I think it may be a quick temporary solution asthetically. Any ideas on how best to do this? I assume just throwing down a tonne of pebbles and raking it wont be enough? Area is about 40 x 40 feet. So 1600 square feet. Will a tonne be enough? Any help appreciated.....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It doesn't seem as though it would be a good solution to me, though I can't offer any personal experience to say why. I have a feeling that some tubs of flowers/plants and possibly a layer of wood chips? Anyone else have any views on woodchip on concrete? Drainage might be a problem, but anything you put down is likely to fill up the drains.

Either way the tubs of flowers would distract from the concrete.

If you do decide to put down pebbles I would suggest getting the very tiny ones, and I would think you would probably need 2 tonne, but what will you do with them when you come to building? You are hardly likely to be making that much concrete yourself to use them.

Could you get rid of the concrete now, put down a membrane and then put down the pebbles? Presumably it will have to be got rid of eventually?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 smullo

Thanks for the reply.

Removing the concrete now is not an option. Terraced house, no rear access. So I am not getting a digger in until we build the extension. Looking for a sort term quick solution. I realise the stone will be throw away when we do build.

Good point on the shore - I will think about something for that.

If I was to just throw down pebbles, I guess it will be hard to walk in, subject to weeds, and pissibly cause puddles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well I don't think it will cause weeds, and I can't comment on the last effect! :D

Look, either you have lived with it this long, so live with it a bit longer, or you have just moved in and you are noticing everything. I would suggest you go the 'distraction' route, a few large pots (plastic will do if they are temporary) and some summer bedding along with a few taller things that will be there in the winter. If the extension will not fill the yard then you would be able to use the pots and it would be worth getting some nice big ones.

I honestly would not put pebbles down, there has to be drainage of the yard and if you stop pebbles going down you will stop water going down too.

Advertisement