Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pronounciation please

Options
  • 20-06-2010 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

Can somebody on here tell me how "Seolan" is pronounced, please?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Is it a name - you have a capital letter for it. The only sinmilar word I know is seolán which means an electric lead and would be pronounced 'show' + 'lawn'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

It's the name of Fionn mac Cumhaill dog, the other one was called Bran.

But I have no idea how to pronounce it. Someone from Donegal suggested Sko-lan. Is that correct?

Is it not Sceolaing then, rather than Seolan? Sceolaing would be pronounced something like 'Sko - ling' (as in the fish)

I have no idea, I don't speak Irish and Seolan was the spelling I was given. I googled it to find out how it is spoken and found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Hounds

I only ever saw it written as SCeolaing - and the 'c' or 'k' sound is slender so it's not just 'sko', as in 'scone' but 'skeo' as in the word 'skite'

• Advertisement

Thank you very much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Bougeoir

'Sceolaing' I'd pronounce it as 'shko-ling' the 'sc' is slender since it is followed by an 'e'. ;)

Advertisement