Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sockets in lecture theatres

Options
  • 20-06-2010 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Are there sockets for students laptops in the lecture theatres at trinity?
    And wifi too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

there are sockets in the lloyd building lecture theatres.
    There is wifi almost everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Whys does everyone say the computer facilities in TCD are sh*te?compared to UCD...
    Isn't there rooms with apple macs in TCD? Is the wifi sh*te?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

it used to be pretty crap. It has improved a lot over the past 3 years tho. Its not 100% perfect by any means, but its grand.

The public access computer rooms aren't fantastic, but they do the job. They're a little slow to log in but if you're just browsing or typing there is nothing wrong with them.
    Generally in departments where you need to do computer simulations or a lot of computer work they will have their own computers that are slightly better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭u60gypx5jakoti

what about in goldsmith or hamilton lecture theatres? i dont want to have to rely on my laptops battery power for the full day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

what about in goldsmith or hamilton lecture theatres? i dont want to have to rely on my laptops battery power for the full day.
    Goldsmith has sockets in the theatre. But theyre right the way down the very back of the hall. I think its the same in the Hamiilton. Charge between lectures and when youre in the library. Or leave it charging at night so youre guaranteed battery for your first few lectures at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Up the back of hamilton only. Most if not all of the study desks in the hamilton library have sockets anyways so if youve got some work to do you can charge up aswell.

Save on the bill at home

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There's a handful of sockets at most in each of the hamilton lecture theatres.

Goldhall, dump that it is, has feck-all sockets in it too. In the hamilton especially, with larger classes like science or perhaps engineering, it can be difficult to get a seat near the couple of sockets at the back unless you're there early.

Wifi in trinity has been mainly reasonable for the past 2 years. Before summer 08, I had frequent and significant issues with Wifi, namely that my laptop's wifi drivers crashed when using it and in parts of e.g. the hamilton library, wifi would not work for me, even if I had a decent signal strength. Things improved considerably after they improved some aspects of the wifi network over summer 08.
    e.g. Radius Server Replacement (Q3 2008), Wireless Access Points Upgrade (Q3 2008)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

No arts block theaters have usable plugs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it, do you really need a laptop every minute of every lecture, my opinion is a firm no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭u60gypx5jakoti

Unless your laptop is actually a tablet, which you use for note-taking, not facebooking ;)

• Advertisement

Unless your laptop is actually a tablet, which you use for note-taking, not facebooking ;)
    If youre commuting in by train. The seats at either end of each carriage and some in the middle have sockets underneath. I often give my laptop a charge on the way in/home if I havent had the chance to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Jammyc wrote: »
    If youre commuting in by train. The seats at either end of each carriage and some in the middle have sockets underneath. I often give my laptop a charge on the way in/home if I havent had the chance to do so.

Not everyone is a feckin culchie!on trains :rolleyes:
    What about us Dubs who will be cycling or busing it in?

Not everyone is a feckin culchie!on trains :rolleyes:
    What about us Dubs who will be cycling or busing it in?
    South Dublin/North Wicklow is culchie land now? :confused:

I suggest you buy one of these and rig it up somehow..I wouldnt have a clue how to..being a culchie and all!:rolleyes:
    cyclech2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31 realtinh

Jammyc wrote: »

Thats assuming you're not one of the commuters who has to stand or can't get the desired seat beside the socket.

Advertisement