Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Use of floor insulation to close cavities at windows and doors?

• 19-06-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I have about 6 sheets of Xtratherm Thin-R floor insulation left over and was wondering if there would be any issues if I was to cut this to close the cavities at windows and doors. I'm going with a bead fill for my wall insulation.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Www.tonyshouse.info shows details of doing exactly this, it's what I am planning to do. I'm pumping the walls with eps beads and the roof with cellulose which I believe is good as a fire stop based on the warmcell website so I don't expect any danger in the area of reducing the risk of fires spreading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

soldsold wrote: »
    Www.tonyshouse.info shows details of doing exactly this, it's what I am planning to do. I'm pumping the walls with eps beads and the roof with cellulose which I believe is good as a fire stop based on the warmcell website so I don't expect any danger in the area of reducing the risk of fires spreading

You can't get even a proprietary cavity closer that gets even a 1/2 hr fire rating for a 120mm cavity never mind a 300mm cavity - I wouldn't recommend a DIY solution.

As for the 300mm cavity insulation - you'll not meet anywhere near the PSI value required to tackle thermal bridging at the reveal. Accredited details will suffice to about 0.22 w/m2K - enhanced accredited details to 0.16W/m2K - I doubt a 300mm pumped insulation can be adequately details to bring the PSI down to the 0.05w/mk thats required just to meet the regs let alone anything better.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Thanks for the reply ardara1,

Have you (or anyone else) any suggestions? My cavity is approx 225mm, maybe double plasterboard slab for fire rating and strips of aerogel to reduce bridging at the cavity closer?

Its not an area I have much knowledge in so any details or internet resource on psi values etc where I can get my head around it would be very welcome, I will need to make some decision soon as windows will be on their way.

My windows will be strapped to the outside leaf (they have insulated frames) so Im finding it hard to picture the big issue of thermal bridging with so much insulation inside the windows

Thanks!

S.

Advertisement