Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badger in Wicklow Mts.

Options
  • 19-06-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭

I've just come back from a walk up in the Wicklow Mts. and when we were coming along the path that leads from the end of the Lugduffs to the top of the Spink, I was rather taken aback to see a badger run across the path in front of me. It was in broad daylight, about 5pm, and on a path that's frequented by lots of tourists. I've seen plenty of badger setts up in the hills, but this is the first time I've seen a badger in broad daylight up there. Saw 2 hares as well so quite a good day, wildlife spotting wise.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Alun wrote: »
    I've just come back from a walk up in the Wicklow Mts. and when we were coming along the path that leads from the end of the Lugduffs to the top of the Spink, I was rather taken aback to see a badger run across the path in front of me. It was in broad daylight, about 5pm, and on a path that's frequented by lots of tourists. I've seen plenty of badger setts up in the hills, but this is the first time I've seen a badger in broad daylight up there. Saw 2 hares as well so quite a good day, wildlife spotting wise.

Badgers are usually strictly nocturnal, but in June and July they can come out at around 10pm when it's still very bright. A dry spell and heat will bring them out earlier. The chances are he was hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

from luggala heading up to the sally gap cross roads on the left hand side there is badger sets on the bank , also there is bats living in the bank .

its luggala property ,not national park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 supersportq

Just wondering, is there any account of a badger ever attacking a person ? Let's say if you go near their sett or corner them ? Probably a bit of an urban myth ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Just wondering, is there any account of a badger ever attacking a person ? Let's say if you go near their sett or corner them ? Probably a bit of an urban myth ?

Very much an urban myth. They are docile animals by and large. Sometimes a badger will just ignore you. The first time I ever saw one was when one emerged backside-first from a hole carrying a load of earth under its belly. It stopped, kicked the earth away, turned around and looked in my direction, scratched, and re-entered the sett before re-emerging and repeating the performance another eight times at least. I was only about 10m away. I went to the sett often after that and watched the badgers all summer long. I even fed bread to the cubs just as you would feed ducks. Lovely, gentle animals. Mind you, I never snared or set dogs on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Naturally if cornered or attacked without escape route they will defend themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 supersportq

Furet wrote: »
    Very much an urban myth. They are docile animals by and large. Sometimes a badger will just ignore you. The first time I ever saw one was when one emerged backside-first from a hole carrying a load of earth under its belly. It stopped, kicked the earth away, turned around and looked in my direction, scratched, and re-entered the sett before re-emerging and repeating the performance another eight times at least. I was only about 10m away. I went to the sett often after that and watched the badgers all summer long. I even fed bread to the cubs just as you would feed ducks. Lovely, gentle animals. Mind you, I never snared or set dogs on them.
    Thanks for that. Was thinking about this today and if I remember properly there was a short report one time on some programme like Countrywide on a family in Co. Tyrone I think, whose children started feeding some young badgers at the back of their house. They got so friendly that they would come into the house and drink milk from a saucer etc and let the children pet them like a puppy. As you say lovely, gentle animals.

Advertisement