Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloudy bay

Options
  • 19-06-2010 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Treated myself to a bottle of this and really enjoyed it don't normally drink white.

anyone know of a similar wine that's a bit easier on the pocket?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

There are lots of Marlborough sauvignon blanc's that are similar to cloudy bay (which is pricey and well marketed).

Try Wither Hills as a good example of NZ sauv blanc - I think its usually around 14 euro?

Or there are lots cheaper though its hit and miss when you go down the price chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Oyster Bay or Montana are good entry level NZ Sauvignon Blancs.
    As Muckety sid, it can be hit an miss, but try a few and see what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

ntlbell wrote: »
    Treated myself to a bottle of this and really enjoyed it don't normally drink white.

anyone know of a similar wine that's a bit easier on the pocket?

Chardonnay or Sauv Blanc?

O'Briens have a good selection of either. If Chardonnay then try Clos Du Val Chardonnay (cheaper but not that cheap), if SB then try Astrolabe (much cheaper and rellay very good).

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

As above, Astrolobe is a good 'un, but avoid Oyster Bay and Montana. They just don't represent the value for money they once did, as does Cloudy Bay in my opinion. I wrote this last year, but it still has relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

MediaTank wrote: »
    Chardonnay or Sauv Blanc?

O'Briens have a good selection of either. If Chardonnay then try Clos Du Val Chardonnay (cheaper but not that cheap), if SB then try Astrolabe (much cheaper and rellay very good).

Sauv blanc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

MattKane wrote: »
    As above, Astrolobe is a good 'un, but avoid Oyster Bay and Montana. They just don't represent the value for money they once did, as does Cloudy Bay in my opinion. I wrote this last year, but it still has relevance.

Agree with you on Oyster Bay and Montana - they don't taste like SB should IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Another vote for Astrolabe, fantastic stuff, and I'm not normally a white drinker (even though NZ Sauvignon Blancs are rapidly changing that). Usually in around €13 mark, but have seen it for as low as €10.

Matt, fantastic blog btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Astrolabe, Whitehaven, Durvillea, Rockpool are all stocked by O'Briens and are all a good bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

MattKane wrote: »

True, CB has been adulterated somewhat over the years. It used to have a dollop of semillon in it to fatten it up, but these days it's all sauvignon, sadly. And Montana is changing too - as of today, the brand name doesn't exist; it will be called Brancott Estate from now on, no doubt with an added charge to cover the reprinted labels.

Back to CB, however, is Greywacke available in Ireland? It's Kevin Judd's (CB co-founder and winemaker) new project and it's spectacular, especially the botrytised gewurz.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Bearhunter wrote: »
    Back to CB, however, is Greywacke available in Ireland? It's Kevin Judd's (CB co-founder and winemaker) new project and it's spectacular, especially the botrytised gewurz.

Not sure if Greywacke is available here in all honesty. I'm sure the botrytised gewurz is heavenly. Some of the dessert wines coming out of NZ are nothing short of brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I managed to get some Villa Maria Reserve Sauv B (Black Label). When I was in Sainsburys last and I thought it was great as the price was about €20 if not a little less.

I think with the popularity of the Malborough Sauv B's over the last few years our taste buds have gotten a little more sophisticated and the Oyster Bays's no longer cut it.

Its a great wine style though.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Cionn wrote: »
    I managed to get some Villa Maria Reserve Sauv B (Black Label). When I was in Sainsburys last and I thought it was great as the price was about €20 if not a little less.

I think with the popularity of the Malborough Sauv B's over the last few years our taste buds have gotten a little more sophisticated and the Oyster Bays's no longer cut it.

Its a great wine style though.

K
    The entry level Villa Maria Sauv Blanc represents great value on it own, usually €10-11.

grenache wrote: »
    The entry level Villa Maria Sauv Blanc represents great value on it own, usually €10-11.

I agree I used to be happy to pay €12-14 for a bottle I have been able to buy it for as little as €8 in Tesco at those prices its a real steal.

I am worried about having too much of it and it becoming the new Oyster Bay so I am drinking Spanish Albarino and Italian Lugana to mix up my taste buds.

Regards

K

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

To the OP:

If you've found, as a result of Cloudy Bay, that you now like white wine, why confine yourself to that style.
    NZ, particularly, Marlborough Sauv Blancs are generally good but there is a world of white wine out there. With advise from a good wine shop, there is so much to discover.

I, like the previous poster, love Spanish Albarino and a dry Reisling is a favourite of mine at the moment (Germany, Alsace, NZ, Oz). French Sauv Blanc can be great as is a good Chablis (a poor one is awful) and some Italian whites can be pretty amazing.

By all means, explore Marlborough Sauv Blancs but please don't confine yourself to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

By all means, explore Marlborough Sauv Blancs but please don't confine yourself to them!

I have no intention of it :D

I was just looking for a cheaper alternative to that particular style.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

For good value in that vein, another area to try would be the |Tourraine region of the Loire. Its right next to Sancerre but less well known so commands a lower price but produces lovely cool-climate Sauv Blancs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

ntlbell wrote: »
    I have no intention of it :D

I was just looking for a cheaper alternative to that particular style.

I love Cloudy Bay SB - and I drink the Oyster bay as a cheaper alternative - in fact their Pinot Noire isn't bad either.

If you like the sweetness of the SB grapes then try some Pinot grigio from Italy or even have a lash of some Vino verde from Portugal - I find it hard to get nice Vino Verde here though. Tesco do some from time to time but they are not great.

Lastly have a go at some prosecco from Italy again - but try and avoid the really bubbly one's - the best one's I have found are the lighly sparled one's. Avoid the one's with Champagne corks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

muckety wrote: »
    For good value in that vein, another area to try would be the |Tourraine region of the Loire. Its right next to Sancerre but less well known so commands a lower price but produces lovely cool-climate Sauv Blancs.

Some fantastic 'bubbly' from around there too!

There is 20% off bubbly this weekend on O'briens , it is possible that this is only for loyalty card holders but as u can pick one up as u make ur purchase it's easy to make the saving.

Per other posters prosecco and also cava are my preference to champers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭sioda

Wanui Springs if you can get it is a good alternative. Have to say the Asrtolabe from O Briens is top notch as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement