Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What am i entitled to? by confused supposedly dependent mature student..

Options
  • 19-06-2010 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hello, i just got offered a place in music, media and performance technology as a mature student in the unversity of limerick. i have lived in cork since 2009 in rented accommodation but have no way of proving it as my name is on none of the bills so im stuck with being a "mature candidate dependent on parents" in the eyes of the VEC. that means my income and my parents income will all be taken into consideration when determining my grant which dosnt seem fair as i have supported myself and will be throughout my college education. im going to ring the VEC to find out if any other document is acceptable to prove im independent, does anyone know how to solve this problem? can i apply for a BTEA? will i have to pay my fees if the incomes are too large?

i checked out the income band on student finance.ie, im non adjacent but with my parents combined salaries exceeding the 52,021euro limit im entitled to no maintenance and and half my tuition fee which i cant afford.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hellbound86

i have been unemployed since march of this year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hellbound86

im getting screwed in every orifice imaginable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Going on your lack of ability to prove you were living away from home, then i doubt the vec will entertain you as a candidate.

However, since your unemployed since march, then i suggest you make an appointment with the facilitator in your local social welfare office, and discuss if he/she would be willing to push your appication for back to education allowance.

Its usually 9 - 12 months unemployed before you qualify, but the facilitator can make exceptions.
    When i went in, i brought all the information i could get on the course, and showed him what i wanted to do when i graduate. It impressed him enough that he waivered several weeks for me to make me succesful in getting the btea.

Advertisement