Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lions to win Superbowl in NYC 2014?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Its more down to how good a QB Stafford will be rather than how good a HC Schwartz will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

hardly down to just that. Yes the QB is paramount but the last I read, the sophmore QB doesn't call the defensive plays, he doesn't run training camp, he doesn't choose draft pick, he doesn't decide gameplans etc etc etc etc

So to say that the success of Detroit is down to the success of Stafford is a little naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

They had one of the best drafts this year obviously the 2 notable picks in Suh and Best. I also like Spievey they took in the 3rd round.

Best if he performs straight away will be a big asset to an offense already on the up. It gives them depth on their playbook. With Best and Smith in that backfield it opens up their running game. Of course then you have Stafford and Calvin Johnson. With a mix of youth and experience on that O-line finding the right balance will help them strive towards success.

Defensively their best pick being Suh. And a nice pick in Spievey if he can find his feet very quickly. It seems they are trying to offload the old and slowly rebuilding their whole D. Offloading the experience in Ernie Sims, William James, Larry foote they have a bit of work to find that perfect in their D.

For the Lions it will be a team effort to get them there. But I do agree once they find a team strong enough to challenge for the playoffs they are going to need Stafford to be that game winner for them. The return on the investment will be needed. But their success wont solely hinge on him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Getting the right QB is far more important than the coach imo. How many coaches survive first round busts at QB and go on to suceed at their franchise? Obviousely Shwartz has the chance to make a great defense but they put millions on Stafford at number 1. I saw on NFL Network one of the pundits saying that if you miss on a QB, particularly in the first round, it knocks your franchise back 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

The Munky wrote: »
    hardly down to just that. Yes the QB is paramount but the last I read, the sophmore QB doesn't call the defensive plays, he doesn't run training camp, he doesn't choose draft pick, he doesn't decide gameplans etc etc etc etc

So to say that the success of Detroit is down to the success of Stafford is a little naive.

Peyton Manning probably does! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 UALacrosse

I would like to see this, but I think it is unlikely. Stafford needs to improve a lot, but with a receiver like Calvin Johnson anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush. The Lions season will depend on that and the LT. The offence should be better, the dbs are still ****e

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

In addition to the cautions noted above by other posters, I wouldn't be Lion to you when pointing out that they have to break out of a culture of losing, which comics like Jay Leno have used for material in past seasons. Early season wins would help.

Advertisement