Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with building raised veg. garden

Options
  • 19-06-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

im building a raised veg. garden and im using sleepers on the outside to raise it. do i need to put any sealant on the sleepers, or will they be strong enough to manage the soil and water for many years.if so what sealant, i know cresout is a no no....please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

If you mean old railway sleepers they are also a no no for veg gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

I built a raised bed last year and used old sleepers > 30 yrs. old. I don't see any issue with these at all. In fairness the ones I used are very well weather beaten at this stage. I would be surprised if I didn't get at least 10-15 yrs. life out of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richy1

thanks, ya i think mine are pretty strong aswel

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

The issue is not with strength, but the danger of chemicals leaching into your soil from the sleepers, which can be hazardous to your health when you eat vegetables grown in that soil

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

does anyone know where to source used scaffold boards for making raised beds. ive made a few temporary raised beds out of old bits of timber but as i clear the end of the garden i want to build better beds to replace the temp ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have just had cabbage with my dinner, that i have growing in a fish box, i put in six heads a few weeks ago, and chop off the amount leaves i need for dinner, i do not pull head, just leave it grow on, i loved it my own cabbage from a fish box, it is my first yr growing cabbage

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Advertisement