Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solidworks tutoring for beginner-Waterford

Options
  • 19-06-2010 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hello Everyone

Although I have seen Solidworks in action I have never used it nor a CAD program. As silly as it sounds I would like to try and learn the basics of the program. Is anyone available in the Waterford area? FAS never offers anything but CAD here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 BBQ Guy

Maybe I spoke too soon, I see that they offer a 2D course. I wonder what program they will be using.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

If it's 2D it will be AutoCAD.

This is a link to download AutoDesk Inventor which is AutoCAD's 3D version. It's used by a lot of companies along with SolidWorks, Pro-E etc.

Cost's about €120 to buy a student version and a hell of a lot more to buy a user license.

http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=assistance_home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 BBQ Guy

Thanks PP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭madarekrap

Might be worth trying the 2D AutoCAD first chief, I did that in college earlier on and that made the 3D one much easier to understand when I got on to that, it can be a bit mind boggling at first but them FAS courses should be very good I would have thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

madarekrap wrote: »
    Might be worth trying the 2D AutoCAD first chief, I did that in college earlier on and that made the 3D one much easier to understand when I got on to that, it can be a bit mind boggling at first but them FAS courses should be very good I would have thought...
    Personally, I found knowing AutoCad 2D to be a disadvantage when I learned Solidworks, as it is a totally different way of thinking. It was also very frustrating at the beginning when I could spend a long time trying to do something in SW that I could have done in a few seconds on Autocad.

Maybe that's just me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Personally, I found knowing AutoCad 2D to be a disadvantage when I learned Solidworks, as it is a totally different way of thinking. It was also very frustrating at the beginning when I could spend a long time trying to do something in SW that I could have done in a few seconds on Autocad.

Maybe that's just me!

I'd partly agree with this, they are very different. It's been a long time since I used AutoCAD regularly (the 2000 version I think), but at that stage it was still just a straight computer version of ordinary manual drafting - not much was 'computer aided'. You effectively drew views of a 3D design which was in your head. By contrast, you make a 3D model in SolidWorks and let it create the drawing views for you. I know AutoCAD has progressed a lot since then, but I still prefer the SolidWorks approach.

I didn't find the transition that difficult, and it would probably been even easier if I hadn't to un-learn some AutoCAD habits. OP, you're best bet is to source evaluation/student versions of each program and try them out. If this is for work you should also check what's used most frequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ielettle

hi
    if you want learn solidworks ,here is a website that offer tutorials .and you can also buy cheap solidworks software.
    you can go here buy solidworks

Advertisement