Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone 3gs wet - options

Options
  • 19-06-2010 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

hi all,

I was away on holiday recently and unfortunately managed to leave my iPhone in my shorts pocket while I sat on the beach. I got a little bit wet, but by no means soaking. It was only later on when I reached into my pocket that I realised I had the phone in there. It was semi-damp, but by no means wet.

Ever since, it constantly displays a 'this accessory is not made to work with iPhone - switch to Airplane mode?' error message every few minutes. also, the volume just adjusts itself when it feels like it and the earpiece crackles up when I receive a call.

What are my options on this one? Is it repairable, or is it basically fooked for good if water got inside and shorted something? Any recommendations for a repair centre with competent employees?? Btw, phone purchased August 09.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Hello maninblack,
    I wet my iphone and had the same problem with the annoying message 'this accessory is not made to work with iPhone - switch to Airplane mode?'
    I searched online and this happens because the jack at the bottom of the phone has been damaged. I used an ear bud to clean out the jack and to my amazement the error message stopped.
    If you look at the centre of the jack you should see a small round spot. It will be pink if it has been water damaged. I contacted apple at the time and they said they would replace the phone for 220 euro but i was within the warranty at the time. Give them a call, its worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Get a bowl of dry rice. Bury the phone deep down inside the rice, and the rice will draw out any moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Bicky wrote: »
    Hello maninblack,
    I wet my iphone and had the same problem with the annoying message 'this accessory is not made to work with iPhone - switch to Airplane mode?'
    I searched online and this happens because the jack at the bottom of the phone has been damaged. I used an ear bud to clean out the jack and to my amazement the error message stopped.
    If you look at the centre of the jack you should see a small round spot. It will be pink if it has been water damaged. I contacted apple at the time and they said they would replace the phone for 220 euro but i was within the warranty at the time. Give them a call, its worth a shot.

You could also replace the dock connector and ear speaker.

Not a huge problem, You could do it in an hour with the right parts.

Advertisement