Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"All the Way Round" in aid of Barretstown!

Options
  • 19-06-2010 1:03am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭

picture.php?albumid=771&pictureid=5396 headermain_logo2.gif

Just to let you all know ... !

Some of those car-mad people who hang around the Motors forum are organising a sponsored drive all the way around Ireland for the August Bank Holiday weekend (route here).

As our own Onkle is one of the organisers and participants; as a couple of our occasional posters will be participating, or so I hear on the grapevine; and as Barretstown is my, and I suspect a lot of peoples, favourite charity, I thought it might be good to let people know about it.

As most of you will know, Barretstown is a specially designed camp, providing a programme of adventure, activities and fun - backed by the medical world - which improves the lives of children and their families affected by childhood cancer and other serious illness, rebuilding their confidence, trust and self-esteem through therapeutic recreation.

In the magical world of Barretstown, children can stop being patients for a while, become children again, and have some "serious fun"!!

What you may not know is that:
      It costs €3,350 to bring one child to Barretstown for 10 days
      It costs €5 million every year to run Barretstown
      96% of this €5 million has to be raised every year through fundraising

Serious fun needs serious funding!

And this is where the All The Way Round sponsored drive comes in.

So what can you do to help?

Well ...

... you could decide to join them in their adventure (Deposits / registration thread)

... you could sponsor Onkle or one of the other participants (they're hoping to raise a minimum of 50c per kilometre for the 1,200 km journey)

... you could donate directly on the ATWR website (I'm told the "donate" button will be operational within a couple of days) Working now!

... you might work for, or know, a company who would be willing to provide sponsorship of some sort (petrol companies / garages along the route would be especially welcome, this is a big cost for participants)

... you could put the logo and links in your sig, or link to their facebook page, and help spread the word

... if you are a mod of another forum, you might consider putting up a similar notice there

... you could drop into the forum here on Boards, and wish them luck

... if you live on the route, you could make a point of turning out to wave and cheer them out on the day

This is a boardsie event, for a very worthy cause, and I know they will appreciate all and any support from the Boards community. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well, it's over!! Mission accomplished! :)

Fair play to Onkle and the other 2 organisers, draffodx and Quazzie, all the other drivers and everyone who helped out for a major commitment and effort.

Something accomplished for a very worthy cause AND 'twas great craic too, always important if these things are to continue!

Pop over to the forum for pics and the news / gossip.

Still accepting donations too if anyone has a couple of bob to spare. A big thank you to those who have already done so!

Advertisement