Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Always on duty.

Options
  • 18-06-2010 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭

Now, I am led to believe that a Garda is never off duty. There is always an obligation to keep the peace and when 'on duty' you are providing a level of cover but that obligation always remains the same.

1) Is this right?
    2) Is this extraterritorial?
    3) In receipt of a Garda pension is there an obligation to do anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

If someone is in receipt of a pension then they're no longer a Garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

A garda is not always on duty. But he is always a garda. And the powers given to him are there for the most part wether he is on or off duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭Terrontress

What I was more getting at was the obligation to behave in a certain way in a given situation. Not the powers that they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Sitric

Have you ever been to Copper Face Jacks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

They have to act within the law just like anyone else. They cant bring the garda name into disrepute either (ie wearing their cap while chugging a bottle of vodka). But other than that they are free to live like normal people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

k_mac wrote: »
    They have to act within the law just like anyone else. They cant bring the garda name into disrepute either (ie wearing their cap while chugging a bottle of vodka). But other than that they are free to live like normal people.

Shouldnt that read "live as normal people" or am i to believe that guards are not normal?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

What I was more getting at was the obligation to behave in a certain way in a given situation. Not the powers that they have.

Did you have a beef with a Garda who was off duty or didn't do what you think they should have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭Terrontress

bravestar wrote: »
    Did you have a beef with a Garda who was off duty or didn't do what you think they should have done?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

k_mac wrote: »
    (ie wearing their cap while chugging a bottle of vodka).

Yes. Always remove your cap before chugging a bottle of vodka.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Coolbreeze2809

deadwood wrote: »

Yes. Always remove your cap before chugging a bottle of vodka.

Or beret in the case of the RDF ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement