Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guardianship of child questions

Options
  • 18-06-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

wonder if someone can help with a bit of input and information on this matter.

my girlfriend and I have been together for almost 3 yrs, when we met, she already has a daughter of 4 mths old, she broke up with her ex because he cheated on her while she was carrying the baby, we moved in together since the girl was 6mths old, i started to treat her as my own daughter, when she was 2, a little sister came along, which is my natural daughter, they are now 3 and 1 since april, last week we got my guardianship sorted with the little girl, and we have spoke to a solicitor in regards for me to become the guardian of the older daughter, therefore the solicitor had to inform the birth father about this, and after that, we got a letter from the birth father solictior applying for access and guardianship of our older daughter, which is now 3 yrs old, and her birth father and his family only ever attempted to make contact once a year, through the first year, he never made contact in regards to how the baby was after a few weeks of her birth, on the day she was born, he spent his wages on a tattoo, never gave 1cent to the daughter or asked about her. after that then there was no sign of anyone from him nor his family till her 1st birthday, my girlfriend refused their entrance in to our home, and made it clearly that if he will make regular contact with her daughter and act like a father, and take on his responsiblity including maintence, he will be allow to see the baby, however they left and never heard from them till her 2years old birthday, the birth fathers mother left in some old clothing for our daughter at my fathers work place, which are actually not for a 2yr old, they dont even remember the exact date of her birthday. I love her as much as I love my little girl, and she see's only me as her father, and certainly does not know who he is, will we be able to reject his applications on both access rights and guardianship, we certainly do not want someone to come and go as they please to see the child like this, not that he really wants to,we have no idea why he even bothers going through this hassle when he had no interest of being a father from the start.

any input or information very much appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I suggest you make sure your solicitor is up to speed on family law. Your girlfriend will have to come to an agreement with him. She should seek maintenance and arrange as limited visitation as possible. She should do everything through her solicitor too.

At the end of the day, it is his daughter. He may have made mistakes in the past but it probably is better for the girl that she knows who her birth father is. You just need to make sure his access to her doesn't cause unnecessary stress or disruption to her or your family's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Honestly get a solictor, look at getting married asap and into adopting the little girl.
    That is the only way you will be a family under law and it could be the fear of that happening which has prompted this.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

it is very possible for him to cause unnecessary stress considering that he has a conviction of buying drinks and drinking with minors in his house, and he hangs out with paodophile which just after getting 18mths sentence for breaking property of 33k worth of damage, tresspassing and chasing women in public with his pants down. thats very much why we dont want him around. if he gets his rights, eventually he be allowed by court to take her over night and thats when we are going to be very very worry.

p.s. I spoke to a solicitor and she knew the person I mentioned as soon as I told her the name, it was all over the papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well we can't condone breaking the law or ignoring court ordered mandates, but as everyone knows the law can be an ass. If he is of such ill charchter and has had no intrest in the child hopefully the most he will ever get is supervised visitations. Get a solictor and do what you have to protect your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

yea i guess we just have to do that and hope for the best, thanks for the input guys

• Advertisement
Advertisement