Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smell of cinnamon

Options
  • 18-06-2010 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Recently, I think a smell of cinnamon is kind of following me around.

I've smelled it in 3 different places now, my house, my mam's and my oh's place (which is about 120 miles away from my place).

My mam and my oh have both smelled it too, but only when I am there, and I've smelled it on my own a few times.

It's not a constant smell, it just kind of comes, hangs around for a few minutes, then goes away. Occurences can be several days apart. The longest it hung around for was about 10 minutes, up in my mam's house.

I'm a bit skeptical with regards to spirits and stuff, but I can't really explain it...

Any ideas...? Thanks!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Does the smell of cinnamon have any special significance for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I don't want to worry you unnescesarily man, but I just thought it should be mentioned.

Phantosmia (perceiving smells that aren't really there) can be caused by several medical conditions. Including brain injury, brain tumours, epilepsy, Parkinsons disease, a sinus infection (sometimes the phantosmia remains after the infection has cleared), or even a bad cold (sometimes the phantosmia remains after the cold is gone).

In most cases phantosmia results in unpleasant smells such as burning hair but pleasant or innocuos smells are also reported, such as cut grass or garlic.

If the symptom persists you should visit your GP.

strobe, the op says others smell it too. I get where your coming from and I know the condition, but with others getting it, it sounds like something else. Plus I wouldnt like the op freaked out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

Oryx wrote: »
    Does the smell of cinnamon have any special significance for you?

Not particularly. My Mam did suggest it reminded her of my grandmother (her mother) who passed away about 9 months ago, but that wasn't something I had considered....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Oryx wrote: »
    strobe, the op says others smell it too. I get where your coming from and I know the condition, but with others getting it, it sounds like something else. Plus I wouldnt like the op freaked out. :)

Ah, so it does. I missed that.

• Advertisement

I had a similar thing but with the smell of cigarettes in my bedroom. My mum had the same smell for brief moments in hers as well. We never did figure it out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OP do you wear perfume/aftershave/deodourant? It's possible that cinnamon is an ingredient in it, or in your shampoo/soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭DAWNRISER

Cinnamon was used in medieval times to ward of the smell of decay and is often associated with the deceased.
    In more modern times it is used to help diabetics and some fungal infections etc.
    But it is a common scent described by people who feel they are being visited by a spirit.
    You should visit a sensitive and see if they can pick up anything.
    By the way any sensitive worth his or her salt ISN'T going to charge you and would be just happy to help.... Unless they have to travel, then they might ask for expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

kylith wrote: »
    OP do you wear perfume/aftershave/deodourant? It's possible that cinnamon is an ingredient in it, or in your shampoo/soap.

I do indeed wear perfume and deodorant etc., but haven't used a new brand, or one that I think smells remotely like cinnamon.

I use the same perfume and deodorant pretty much all the time, so I don't think that's it... Good question though! :)

Since I posted this topic I haven't smelled it, btw
    :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

This is a common way for a recently deceased person to try to 'tell' you that they still 'are'.
    The quick whiff of something that you could associate with a person or place should help them to focus, especially if you 'cotton on' to their presence.
    A few kindly thoughts to them helps them greatly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I was very close to my grannie.

The night before we buried her, there was a few of us sitting in the kitchen after the pub - we were all smoking and no windows open (ah lovely old ireland).

Anyways, no one was beside me - got the most intense smell of flowers Ive ever gotton. There were no flowers in the room.

I hopped up and asked if anyone else smelt it and they laughed due to the cigarettes and all.

I believe it was my grannie saying adios to me and it felt great! I went and told my dad upstairs and he was delighted too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

I sometimes have exactly the same experience OP, but I smell roses. It's been happening very occasionally for a few years now. I always feel very spiritually calmed by it. Cinnamon is a lovely warm fragrance so I'd advise you to try to take comfort from it.

People will try to find logical reasons for what you're experiencing, and that's understandable, but there is no logical reason for the air in my car suddenly smelling like a bouquet while I'm driving up the M50 at 2am! ;)

Advertisement