Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber garden furniture.

Options
  • 18-06-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I have some new timber ikea garden chairs. What is the best thing to protect them initially, is there some paint or wood oil or vanish, e.g. yacht varnish?

Then at the start & end of a summer (when we get one), what is the best treatment to make them last.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

BlueSpud wrote: »
    I have some new timber ikea garden chairs. What is the best thing to protect them initially, is there some paint or wood oil or vanish, e.g. yacht varnish?

Then at the start & end of a summer (when we get one), what is the best treatment to make them last.

Thanks in advance.

read the care instructions on the ikea web site -

care instructions
    The furniture has already been treated with oil, but should be re-oiled at regular intervals when in use. Note! Be sure the furniture is clean and dry before re-oiling.
    Location: Outdoors. Can be left outdoors all summer if treated according to the care instructions.

ikea also sell the wood oil or just get some in the local diy store.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭BlueSpud

Much appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I just used some Ronseal furniture oil I got in the local woodies. It looks really nice.

It recommends 3 coats but since it's the first "coating" I'm going to put on about four or five coast.

It actually improves the furniture and looks really nice. This weekend would be ideal. Do a single coat every night and you'll have 3 coats done by Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭BlueSpud

Do a single coat every night and you'll have 3 coats done by Sunday!

You mean the wife will..........:D

Advertisement