Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking and rejoining 10spd Ultegra chain

Options
  • 18-06-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

I have an 10spd ultegra chain that has only done about 1000km, its still good. However I've had to change my chainrings and cassette on that bike so I want to break it and use it on a different bike.

If I break it at the joining pin and use a new joining pin to rejoin it is that safe and secure?

If so how the hell do I find this pin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Don't break at the joining pin, break at any other linkage and rejoin with the new joining pin.

See under Warning:- http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/Chain/SI_08V0C/SI-08V0C-001-ENG_v1_m56577569830682230.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

lescol wrote: »
    Don't break at the joining pin, break at any other linkage and rejoin with the new joining pin.

See under Warning:- http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/Chain/SI_08V0C/SI-08V0C-001-ENG_v1_m56577569830682230.pdf

Thanks, thats exactly what I was looking for but couldn't find.

Just need an extra joining pin now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

LBS, they are only a euro or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Or if you order online you can get a pack of 5 from Wiggle for a little under 10euro.

Edit: Sorry, just noticed they are out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

I split mine when I was stuck for a new pin and rejoined it with the old pin, 500+ km on it since then.
    If you align the old pin perfectly (you'll 'feel' it when joining), it seems to work ok.

• Advertisement

I split mine when I was stuck for a new pin and rejoined it with the old pin, 500+ km on it since then.
    If you align the old pin perfectly (you'll 'feel' it when joining), it seems to work ok.

Don't do this! When you break out the pin, a little ring of metal is sheared off the end of the pin. this is because the pins are mushroomed at the end. Breaking the chain decapitates the mushroom so to speak, and the outer plate of the chain can easily work its way over the end of the pin. I learned this the hard way. It'll work fine for a while but then one day when you least expect it.....BANG! AND THE CHAIN IS GONE (in the voice of Barry Scott)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You can also stress the plates which on narrower chains may lead to cracking of the plates and early chain failure.

For a euro or two, whatever they cost, I think it is worth the piece of mind of just buying a few of them. I would buy online but they are so cheap that you can have them today from an LBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Perhaps worth investing in some 'Powerlock's from SRAM.

I'm running two 6700 chains with them. They are disposible so throw them away after use. About e5 for new ones with no worries about shearing bits off pins. SRAM 'Powerlink' is the re-usable one but I would be wary of constant use. Shimano seem to have done away with any idea of re-usable links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I have some follow-up questions.

I have a Shimano 105 5701 10 Speed and there is only one place possible to break the chain: the joining pin. Therefore how do I break the chain at another linkage?

Also since I've spilt the chain at the joining pin, and used the same pin to join the chain again, should I have been using a new pin?

Thanks

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

nitrogen wrote: »
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I have some follow-up questions.

I have a Shimano 105 5701 10 Speed and there is only one place possible to break the chain: the joining pin. Therefore how do I break the chain at another linkage?

Also since I've spilt the chain at the joining pin, and used the same pin to join the chain again, should I have been using a new pin?

Thanks
    You should be able to break it at any pin

Are you using a proper chain tool?

You must always use a new one - never re-use them

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    You should be able to break it at any pin

Are you using a proper chain tool?

You must always use a new one - never re-use them

I have this which can extract and attach the joining pin – should it work to remove other links?

Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You need to use a new joining pin each time. Push out a normal pin and rejoin with a new joining pin. I am not 100% sure but IIRC you should specifically NOT break it again at an existing joining pin (I imagine it puts the plates there under stress.) Read the instructions that came with the chain, they are quite clear on what to do (they are also online in PDF format on techdocs.shimano.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In addition to not not breaking it at an existing pin, you also shouldn't put two joining pins on the same link.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

nitrogen wrote: »
    I have this which can extract and attach the joining pin – should it work to remove other links?
    Yes

If the pin doesn't come out, is it OK then to push the pin back in to join the chain again?

Last newbie question – do chains usually come with a joining pin?

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

No, always use a joining pin on 9 or 10 speed chains. I have used the half-pushed out pin up to 7 speed.

Yes, they usually come with at least one (if OEM) and two (if boxed.)

Advertisement