Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nononsense.ie

Options
  • 18-06-2010 9:08am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 265 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here got insurance with nononsense.ie?

My insurance is up in a month and I've started looking around for new quotes, and nononsesne.ie is proving to be literally HALF the price of anyone else.

I trying to see the catch but I can't find one. Excess seems to be the same, and even less than some other, so how the hell are they half the price?!

Anyone got experience with them are know the story with them being so much cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

will probably be to do with the actual cover you are getting - what you are covered for exactly, and whether you get break down assistance with them (while you possible are with the other crowds). I remember looking at them last year and once I had added on the cover features I wanted in my policy it was a comparable price to the others.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

They are actually a wing of FBD.. so fairly reputable I'd say..

http://www.nononsense.ie/about-us/
    No Nonsense is a trading name of FBD Insurance plc which is regulated by the Financial Regulator
    Registered in Ireland under Company Registration Number 25475. Registered Office: FBD House, Bluebell, Dublin 12, Ireland

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

will probably be to do with the actual cover you are getting - what you are covered for exactly, and whether you get break down assistance with them (while you possible are with the other crowds). I remember looking at them last year and once I had added on the cover features I wanted in my policy it was a comparable price to the others.

Have to agree with Mitch here though.. Definite compare like for like when it comes to level of cover.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Got by far the cheapest quote from them for basic car insurance.
    In the end went with Axa because of the extras, GF insured on my car for the same price, windscreen cover and fully comp all for a very nice price (<400 methinks), but for basic car insurance with no frills no nonsense takes some beating. Haven't found anyone cheaper and I checked.
    123 where robbin' bastids compared to them, quoted me twice as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Got my car insurance with Nononsense too, and compared the cover with what I was offered from AXA and it was identical except for the price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Always shop around!

this whole check your cover thing, while sound advice. You will find that most companies have comparible cover across the board with very little significant difference. But always read the fine print!

Good Deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Im in my second year with them now, no problems, although I havent needed to claim, touch wood.

The initial quick quote they give you is always very low, once you fill in all your details it comes up a bit, but it was still the lowest for me by a longshot.

At the end you can add on extras - Breakdown cover, windscreen cover, third party on other cars not owned by you, personal property, personal injury, etc..

Was with Tesco for my first year in my own name, €1,200ish, my renewal came in at €1,200 again, shopped around and couldnt get below €1,100. Nononsense ended up at 900, and this year 740.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

No nonsense was a lot more expensive for me online. when I rang FBD they told me they can't insure my car as its on their system as written off. They were to double check and ring me back, never did.

No other insurer had a problem with the car and its never been crashed.

stupid insurance, still over 1k for the year, will it ever come down :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Innervision

Got my car insurance with Nononsense too, and compared the cover with what I was offered from AXA and it was identical except for the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Just rang them there as my policy is up on the 11/07. They won't cover my car, but the calculator on their webpage is coming up more expensive for me than Aviva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

No nonsense was a lot more expensive for me online. when I rang FBD they told me they can't insure my car as its on their system as written off. They were to double check and ring me back, never did.

No other insurer had a problem with the car and its never been crashed.

stupid insurance, still over 1k for the year, will it ever come down :mad:
    that seems high for a female! Do you have lots of extras on your car, how much is it valued at?

grenache wrote: »
    that seems high for a female! Do you have lots of extras on your car, how much is it valued at?

well I'm male. with Aviva in the end, no nonsense was around 1450 iirc

08 2L petrol BMW m-sport coupe
    4 years no claims
    licence for 3 yrs.
    26 in aug

valued at €30k

with no point disc, low milage disc, partner discount, 5% disc for having health policy too, fully comp. 932 +7% DD charge= 1001.90

have ignition cert too but not applicable as engine is too big

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Just tried them as mine is up soon. Very expensive when I ticked all the extras I have as standard on my current policy. Charging €25 extra for wndscreen cover on a comprehensive policy is taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

I've spoken to them in 2009, and like said before, they are a specific front for FBD, and what I can gather, focusing on a very low risk group.

They wouldn't cover my 2.0 Petrol Accord either - apparently it's a high performance car. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

When I rang FBD they told me they can't insure my car as its on their system as written off. They were to double check and ring me back, never did.

Did they ever call you back? They gave me same answer, but my car is fine no history of problems with full NCT. Is that something they say for large engines sized cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Thanks for the nononsense reccomendation!

They wouldnt quote me on my current car (they dont quote for cars 14 years old or more apparently), but were 400 cheaper than the next insurer (britton & tesco) if I traded up to an avensis.

They are taking the piss a bit with the "add ons" though.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    They are taking the piss a bit with the "add ons" though.

surely you don't need the "monsters in the Cavan area" protection though?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭selephonic

lukejr wrote: »
    Did they ever call you back? They gave me same answer, but my car is fine no history of problems with full NCT. Is that something they say for large engines sized cars?

Had the same issue with FBD, turned out someone in AIG had ticked the wrong box on a previous owners minor claim a few years back. A few phone calls sorted it out.

NoNonsense wouldn't quote me because I've only had the full licence on the car for a year and less than 3 years no claims. They're obviously going for the low risk crowd, smaller engine, well experienced and proven safe drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

If Nononsense are part of FBD how come for the same car I'm quoted just under 1200 from nononsense but just over 1500 from FBD. Also my current insurer is FBD and I'm 6 months into my policy on a car which cost me the guts of 2000 to insure but if I want to switch insurance to the new car with FBD I'll only be refunded 83 euro....

Anyway I'm kinda forced now to cancel my policy with FBD which will refund me €900 and take out the Nononsense policy for 1200 but I'll get an extra 6 months for that price (losing my current 6 months NCB). I'd have thought FBD would have been able to give me back a bit more than 83 euro given the huge differences in the quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

GStormcrow wrote: »
    If Nononsense are part of FBD how come for the same car I'm quoted just under 1200 from nononsense but just over 1500 from FBD. Also my current insurer is FBD and I'm 6 months into my policy on a car which cost me the guts of 2000 to insure but if I want to switch insurance to the new car with FBD I'll only be refunded 83 euro....

Anyway I'm kinda forced now to cancel my policy with FBD which will refund me €900 and take out the Nononsense policy for 1200 but I'll get an extra 6 months for that price (losing my current 6 months NCB). I'd have thought FBD would have been able to give me back a bit more than 83 euro given the huge differences in the quotes
    Skoda are part of Volkswagen, but they're not the same price either. Re the €83 refund to change, it depends on their assessment of the relative risk of the two cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

No Nonsense are HELL to deal with if you need to make a claim. I had a small accident while insured with them and the issue was referred to a seperate claims company that handle any claims for No Nonsense. They tried to charge me the excess on my policy...... ah hello I wasn't making a claim ffs, they then paid out an amount to the car I had rearended. I wasn't aware of this until it came to renewal & getting my no claims bonus. The amount was a couple of hundred euros, I paid this to them after all those months so I could keep my ncb.

I will never deal with them again :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If Nononsense are part of FBD how come for the same car I'm quoted just under 1200 from nononsense but just over 1500 from FBD.

It's really not that unusual for a broker to be able to give you a better price than the company that's underwriting the insurance. Otherwise there'd be no real need for brokers. I don't know how it works though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I got put off them when I discovered that, despite their ad on tv suggesting that they would be happy to quote a male in his 20s with a high litre car, they all but laughed at me when I tried to get a quote on my car. Poor show I felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

OSI wrote: »
    Has anyone here got insurance with nononsense.ie?

My insurance is up in a month and I've started looking around for new quotes, and nononsesne.ie is proving to be literally HALF the price of anyone else.

I trying to see the catch but I can't find one. Excess seems to be the same, and even less than some other, so how the hell are they half the price?!

Anyone got experience with them are know the story with them being so much cheaper?

THE ONLINE QUOTE IS CRAP I GOT ONE FOR 453 euro by the time i was finished on the phone it was 790 i went with 123.ie this year first time changing from quinn in 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

If Nononsense are part of FBD how come for the same car I'm quoted just under 1200 from nononsense but just over 1500 from FBD.

Exact same for me when i was shopping around a few months ago. Check what your actually getting with the nononsense policy. The FBD one will probably be all inclusive, everything you can have on a policy will be on it. Where as the nononsense one will probably be bare bones essential stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

From the bottom of the nononsence.ie webpage:

"No Nonsense is a trading name of FBD Insurance plc which is regulated by the Financial Regulator"

You also need to compare both policies to know exactly who is offering the best cover at the best price. Nononsense came about to compete with the likes of Quinn Direct and 123.ie at the lower end of insurance market, they tend to remove alot of extra benefits from their policies that come as standard on FBD policies to make their quotes cheaper and seem more appealing.

BTW I was with FBD for a number of years but left them as their prices increased and they became uncompetitive for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They wont insure my car as it's 14 years old -_- sounds like nonsense to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

A 2 litre is too big an engine nowadays?

Advertisement