Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning up sound in video clips?

Options
  • 18-06-2010 12:32am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Completely new to this field and have recently been taking my digital camera along to smaller gigs and using the movie setting to record clips. Now the visuals are fine, but the sound (especially bass) is a bit too much for it to handle, and I am wondering...is there a way I can filter out the sound portion of the file and "clean it up" so to speak?

Recording in .avi format and have access to Sony Vegas Pro 9 if thats any help to this situation?

I've sent files to someone before and they had the sound sorted out for me before when I went to see Metallica last year, and had those remastered files sent back to me, just dont know how it was done and would like to try myself:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

If its been recorded distorted theres not much you can do. Thats why you see the news reporters etc with external mics on their cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Completely new to this field and have recently been taking my digital camera along to smaller gigs and using the movie setting to record clips. Now the visuals are fine, but the sound (especially bass) is a bit too much for it to handle, and I am wondering...is there a way I can filter out the sound portion of the file and "clean it up" so to speak?

As the above poster indicated if the audio itself is distorted (peaking) then you are in a bit of trouble. If your wave form looks like a big block chances are you are in trouble. If the wave form looks jaggy (with both peaks and troughs then your audio signal could be fine. If you are looking to get rid of hiss then this is manageable. I know Premiere Pro was noise removal filters not sure if Vegas has. A vst plugin for noise removal I find very good is waves x-noise or z-noise (google it) its on the expensive side.

If you are looking to do it on the free get audacity. Here's a link to its wiki article on noise removal. If you are looking to add more quality to the sound/get your bass back you'll need to EQ it (there should be audio effects in vegas for this). Play around with compression and reverb effects to get some clarity and uniformity back into the audio. This can all be done in audacity as well if you dont want to do it in vegas. Just go by ear and see how it goes... hope that helps

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Brilliant stuff guys thanks alot :) I'll get cracking on some of the sound problems and get back to ya :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Well I went ahead with the attempt and it worked out better than I thought:)

Used Vegas for it, tried using Audacity but is a little out of my league for the moment, thanks for the link anyway:)

Advertisement