Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Weed Identification Please

Options
  • 17-06-2010 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

hi folks,
    I'm looking for some help with a weed that had my heart broken...
    We started our garden last year by sowing a 1000sq meter lawn and a 25meter herbatious border, all went well and no real problems..

This spring we sowed another lawn of equal size and did some more landscaping and another border.. This time we are over run with this damn weed, it's in the grass, the beds and one waste ground we turned over with the digger when it was in...

I'm keeping them hoed out of the borders and the mower munches them up fine in the lawn, I've left some to grow on and they are about 45cm high and will soon be in flower (this may help ID the buggers)

My thinking is that the super hot/dry weather has kicked these seeds out of dormancy in the soil..

Mowing doesn't seem to be killing them from the lawn... I hope the winter does.

Can anyone help ID them for me and if so what can I expect ??

Thanks
    damnweed.th.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

looks like wild mustard to me , has yellow flowers gets to about four foot . seeds like f***, i think its in the brassica family, could be worse you could have fire weed and pop weed !:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

To me it looks like lambs quarters / Fat -hen
    As a kid I used to get paid by my uncle for pulling it out of beet fields that certainly kept you out of trouble!

Its an annual weed
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chenopodium_album

• Registered Users Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a bit hard to tell, but I would be inclined to think its a brassica too. Fat hen is a bit more greyish. Either way if you can break the cycle and stop it from seeding this year you should find much less of it next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Thanks...
    Looks like it could be either or subspecies of either...
    Best news is that if it's an annual it should die out over the winter and without seeding it should be less or gone next year...

I'll top the ones growing on a waste bank at the side of the site and that should contain them..

Thanks to all...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

def looks like 'fat hen'.....don't allow to go to seed,various stats as to the number of seeds per plant from 10 to tens of thousands:eek:, 2 different colours of seed from plant- brown which will germinate this year and black which are those that remain dormant until conditions are favorable to germinate them (probably the really cold winter).... as you say diminishing the seed bank is the way to go towards exhausting them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

It is Fat Hen. It won't germinate any more in the lawn, only from where the ground is disturbed, particularlly in my experience late Spring. It desn't seem to germinate much in early Spring.

Advertisement