Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mare in heat

Options
  • 17-06-2010 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

My mare is in heat and to be honest, is becoming a nutcase. It's proving a real problem when I ride her during the summer. Is there any proven methods to calm mares down during heat periods? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I find with my mare is not to push her so much, my mare is an absolute cow when in season - which sometimes lasts much longer than a week. I find that if I just work her less on her bad days or even take her out on a hack calms her down, she often had a scitzo attack and turned into a bronco around the arena if I so much touch her sides.

Be sympathetic to her - you don't really want to work when you're on your monthleys either! (how I look at it anyway!)

even take her on an in-hand walk - my mare loves that when she's cranky!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

For a mare that is very tender, I would be inclined to get them checked out by a vet as that's not really normal and they could have an ovarian cyst etc.

For a mare that's just a bit hormonal, you can get supplements designed for that. I've heard good things about one called Oestress, although I've never used it myself (have only owned mares for riding, but none of them were ever 'marish') At the extreme level is Regumate (I think it might be prescription only, can anyone confirm?)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

From what I've seen in shops/heard from people there are quite a few remedies out there that claim to help settle a mare while she's in season. There's vary from herbal remedies to regumate to an injection which stop a mare coming in season altogether.

I've ridden mares who will literally stop if you put your legs/heels into them, while other mares just become a little narky when they're in season, but it's nothing major. It's just something that you learn to deal with. If you take note of when the mare is in season, you can plan competitions and outings around those dates if you feel the need to do so. Otherwise you could just accept that her performance may not be as good as usual and she may be a little narky, but still go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Marble??? Keep her quiet for as long as it stay in and if it does come out, can have the same hormone calming effect as having actually carried a foal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 xBadWolfx

Thanx guys :) She's never tender as such, she just tends to refuse to cooperate. As, she is a little overweight and the grass is back i would like to be able to ride her throughout the summer to get that weight off whilst not having to constantly deal with bucking etc. It just makes the whole experience bad for the both of us. Im thinking i might try her on one of the suplements and see how it goes :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 xBadWolfx

shanagarry wrote: »
    For a mare that is very tender, I would be inclined to get them checked out by a vet as that's not really normal and they could have an ovarian cyst etc.

For a mare that's just a bit hormonal, you can get supplements designed for that. I've heard good things about one called Oestress, although I've never used it myself (have only owned mares for riding, but none of them were ever 'marish') At the extreme level is Regumate (I think it might be prescription only, can anyone confirm?)

I've heard good stuff about Oestress too - I'm gonna go with that one first I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Hockey Chick

Hi BADWOLF how did you get on with the supplement I have a 12yr old mare that is behaving crazy while on heat and its the first time I ve seen her in heat the two months Ive owned her if she is the same next time I will have to do something as she broke one of the timber panalles in the sand arena and has bolted all in a two day time frame lol

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

ridiculous though it sounds, TRI do a supplement called "slut mix" which is fantastic; my friend's mare is RIDICULOUS, she seems to permanently on heat and she was a nightmare last summer, she tried this stuff on the chance and it seemed to calm down her whore-ish tendencies :)

Advertisement