Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 has 512MB of ram

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

It's weird to think that not too long ago computers had 512MB of memory, and now are phones have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Dman001 wrote: »
    It's weird to think that not too long ago computers had 512MB of memory, and now are phones have it.

My first computer (an Apple LCII in 1992) had a whopping 4MB of RAM and 80 MB of storage. It's absolutely amazing that my phone completely blows that away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭FungiWalsh

phutyle wrote: »
    My first computer (an Apple LCII in 1992) had a whopping 4MB of RAM and 80 MB of storage. It's absolutely amazing that my phone completely blows that away now.
    My favourite one is that the computer that landed man on the moon, the absolute pinnacle of its era's technology, had a 2MHz processor, and now we've got feckin' mobile phones that are approaching 500 times that processing power. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

If indeed they landed on the moon ;)

Makes you wonder what a phone will be like in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Ha, my first computer had 64K RAM (Commodore 64) while my mates had a whopping 1K RAM (zx81).

Amazing what programmers did then to make software run on those machines, unlike nowadays where they just expect everyone to buy a faster better machine. I remember reading about the developer of a commodore 64 game where the developer rewrote the OS so that it would suit his game better and so he could squeeze every bit of RAM out of the machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Pshaw! My first computer, a Vic-20 had 5k of RAM and a 1Mhz processor. Bloody datasette still gives me nightmares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

The PC in my parents house has 512mb RAM... and that's an upgrade, it was originally 128mb! Weird to think of my phone having the same amount.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

FungiWalsh wrote: »
    My favourite one is that the computer that landed man on the moon, the absolute pinnacle of its era's technology, had a 2MHz processor, and now we've got feckin' mobile phones that are approaching 500 times that processing power. :D

Yeah, it's mad that. Having said that, you can still perform an AMAZING number of calculations with 2MHz if you use it properly and you can be damned sure they used every last instruction. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

That's awesome to hear it has 512!

I'd say in 5 years we'll be carry around our home PCs in our hand, everything in one device. When you want to game or work, sit it in a docking station and away you go with keyboard / monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

That's awesome to hear it has 512!

I'd say in 5 years we'll be carry around our home PCs in our hand, everything in one device. When you want to game or work, sit it in a dicking station and away you go with keyboard / monitor.

I guess that phone wont be from Apple :p:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Arfan

Is that all? They're not really pulling all the stops on the iphone 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Arfan wrote: »
    Is that all? They're not really pulling all the stops on the iphone 4.

Designing such devices involves a number of trade-offs between cost, size, battery life and so on.

Sure, they could probably put 4Gb of RAM in it, with a battery that lasts two weeks, but it would probably cost you a lot more, weigh more than a laptop and not fit in your pocket. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

I agree with Arfan ... Apple was company of innovation. They were the company to come out with new inventive ways and wow factor. Remember when Iphone came out? They completely reinvented phones. Competitors didn’t know what hit them.
    Now I’m disappointed by Apple. What have they come up with this time? Wifi chat and 5Mb camera? Wow, cool …..if it was year 2005.
    And Steve Jobs said “in 2008 we added 3G networking. 2009 we made the phone twice as fast. For 2010 we'll take biggest leap since the original iPhone!!!”
    Maybe for Iphone brand but hardly doing anything what they have done to competition when they released first Iphone. Most Smartphone competitors are way ahead of Iphone features nowadays. Where is the 12Mb camera, DTT support, HDMI out… disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I agree with Arfan ... Apple was company of innovation. They were the company to come out with new inventive ways and wow factor. Remember when Iphone came out? They completely reinvented phones. Competitors didn’t know what hit them and it took them by surprise.
    Now I’m disappointed by Apple. What have they come up with this time? Wifi chat and 5Mb camera? Wow, cool …..if it was year 2005.
    And Steve Jobs said “in 2008 we added 3G networking. 2009 we made the phone twice as fast. For 2010 we'll take biggest leap since the original iPhone!!!”
    Maybe for Iphone brand but hardly doing anything what they have done to competition when they released first Iphone. Most Smartphone competitors are way ahead of Iphone features nowadays. Where is the 12Mb camera, DTT support, HDMI out… disappointing.

This is kinds off topic...but anyway.

maybe iPhone 4 isn't for you?

This article shows why it is for me and millions of others:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/09/iphone-4-missing-features/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

mad muffin wrote: »
    This is kinds off topic...but anyway.

maybe iPhone 4 isn't for you?

This article shows why it is for me and millions of others:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/09/iphone-4-missing-features/

You are right, this one is just not worth the bother since i have 3Gs. Nothing there to make me think wow i would love that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Where is the 12Mb camera...
    Without adding bulk the sensor and lens would never come close to taking advantage of 12MP (or ever 10). Look at the thinnest 12MP camera you can buy and ask yourself if you want a phone that thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Meh, in my day we had 8k of ram and a Z80 processor and we liked it. We had to write all of our own software in assembly and it had to be keyed in in Hex every time the power went down because we were too poor to afford storage. And then there was the great binary shortage of the early 80's and I had to write an entire database program just using zeros.

And if you tell that to the kids of today, they don't believe you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ronom

The fact that that's double the amount in the iPad is very impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Well, lots more actually. No company can revolutionise their product line every time. This year they already produced the iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

stimpson wrote: »
    Meh, in my day we had 8k of ram and a Z80 processor and we liked it. We had to write all of our own software in assembly and it had to be keyed in in Hex every time the power went down because we were too poor to afford storage. And then there was the great binary shortage of the early 80's and I had to write an entire database program just using zeros.

And if you tell that to the kids of today, they don't believe you.

ah yes the memories, I started on a ZX81 with 1k and a 16k ram pack and what fun assembly was! ;-)

Looking forward to V4 of iphone though for sure

• Advertisement
Advertisement