Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garden aspect

Options
  • 17-06-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Right, I think I get this now, but I just need a bit of clarification 'cause I'm finding some sources are contradicting each other.
    Basically,

North-facing gardens get the least light

South-facing gardens get the most light

East-facing gardens get morning light

West-facing gardens get afternoon and evening light

I still get a few things wrong though, like thinking the warmest wall is the south wall, when actually the south wall is facing north & it's the south part of the north wall that's the warmest:rolleyes:

Any help is greatly appreciated,
    thanks you!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You have it right, and as you have realised, when you talk about a south wall you are talking about a wall that faces south, don't worry about where it is, just know which way it faces.

You also should be aware of which direction the wind (mostly) comes from and if there is any local geological feature that might create problems - wind coming off the sea, or down a hillside, can be a bit difficult.

The only other complication is that you have to be aware of buildings that 'stick out' - I have a south wall that does not get as much sun as it should because of a shed which starts to cast a shadow on it the moment the sun goes past noon.

Its very easy to overstate the north wall/south wall business, as plants will grow most places once you are maybe a metre or so away from the wall, on the other hand a nice sheltered, south facing wall does mean you can grow some plants that might be a bit tender in a more exposed position.

Advertisement