Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 week hospital visit tomorrow.. few questions

Options
  • 17-06-2010 7:08pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I have my 15 week check up tomorrow in the Rotunda, just wondering what to expect.. I don't think I'll be getting scanned as I had a 10 week scan in the EPU.. but I'm assuming they'll have a listen to the baby's heartbeat??

What sort of tests do they do? What will the que be like? I'm in at 8am..

Also.. Do they let you bring your partner in or is it frowned upon. He's coming along with me but I'd like him to come into the consultation with me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

They will check your blood pressure listen for a heart beat measure your womb with a tape measure which is always fun and ask how you are, shouldn't be a problem having him along but at some stage they will ask him to step out for a moment encase you has someing you wanted to say/raise with them with out him there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thaedydal wrote: »
    at some stage they will ask him to step out for a moment encase you has someing you wanted to say/raise with them with out him there.

Never had this happen myself. :confused:

At 15 weeks (and it's too late now / you'll already know) you may get the full scan, depending on whether or not they have scheduled that. If you were in the EPU I presume they're keeping a slightly closer eye on you. We got the developmental scan early on our 2nd. It was around the 17 week mark. But yeah, I'd say anything more than a very quick scan in the doctors office is unlikely.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thanks guys :) all went well, got a scan and really clear pics of the baby.. was kicking like mad but I won't feel the kicks for a while aparently as the placenta is high or low or something :D either way.. I'm a happy camper :p

BF was allowed to accompany me the whole way along :)

The pics are so clear it's amazing.. can see a little button nose and what looks like a little smile on the face :) sooooo cute !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Congrats Xzanti!

I'm in next thurs for my 1st appointment in Holles st., will be 18+6 then which I thought was a bit late for a first appointment but anyway! Hope I might be getting a scan too, can't wait to see babs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Lola92 wrote: »
    Congrats Xzanti!

I'm in next thurs for my 1st appointment in Holles st., will be 18+6 then which I thought was a bit late for a first appointment but anyway! Hope I might be getting a scan too, can't wait to see babs :)

18 weeks is the norm for Holles Street at the moment. They might give you a mini scan at the appointment on a portable scanner but the only reason the gave me one was because they couldn't find the heartbeat on the doppler. But they will definitely give you an appointment for you anomoly scan which normally takes place between 18 and 22 weeks so you won't have long to wait either way!

• Advertisement

Love2love wrote: »
    18 weeks is the norm for Holles Street at the moment. They might give you a mini scan at the appointment on a portable scanner but the only reason the gave me one was because they couldn't find the heartbeat on the doppler. But they will definitely give you an appointment for you anomoly scan which normally takes place between 18 and 22 weeks so you won't have long to wait either way!

Ok thanks for that Love2love!:)
    Glad to know theres not too much longer to wait before we see him/her! Did you get to see your consultant then or was it just a midwife? I'm not too sure what to expect really...

Also maybe some of you ladies can help me out here. What are the chances of accidentally finding out the sex during an ultrasound? We definitely don't want to know until the baby is born! This might sound like a stupid question but if we mentioned it do you think they could 'steer clear' so to speak? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Ok thanks for that Love2love!:)
    Glad to know theres not too much longer to wait before we see him/her! Did you get to see your consultant then or was it just a midwife? I'm not too sure what to expect really...

Also maybe some of you ladies can help me out here. What are the chances of accidentally finding out the sex during an ultrasound? We definitely don't want to know until the baby is born! This might sound like a stupid question but if we mentioned it do you think they could 'steer clear' so to speak? :p

My first appointment in Wexford was for 18+3, I hadn't been seen by anyone at all between telling the Doctor I was pregnant and that. Although we did book our own private scan at 12 weeks which was great, so it meant that I wasn't too worried about not being seen 'officially' until then.

I had my scan - which was very much about checking for anomalies and sizes etc, so the sonographer wasn't that interested in us being there. She did try to include us a little but it was very much factory process line! I wanted to find out the sex, but hubby didn't, but when it came to it there wasn't really an opportunity to ask, and I had sort of forgotten about it anyway because I wasn't being let!
    After that bloods were taken and nurse also confirming medical history etc. Then seen by the consultant which was basically just reconfirming everything I told the nurse, so it was pointless! Just justifying his time! Thank god I'm not paying for the privilege of seeing him especially when he used his little wheel chart thing to see when I was due. He said the end of November instead of October, I was like WHAT??? Oh yea I mean October! Phew!

Hope your scan goes well, come back on to let us know how you got on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Thaedydal wrote: »
    They will check your blood pressure listen for a heart beat measure your womb with a tape measure which is always fun and ask how you are, shouldn't be a problem having him along but at some stage they will ask him to step out for a moment encase you has someing you wanted to say/raise with them with out him there.

In the Coombe at first visit partners are not allowed into the medical history part of the visit at all. I was asked a couple of times during that visit about domestic violence.

"Has your partner ever hit you?"
    "Have you ever hit your partner?"
    etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

xzanti ask questions about your placenta next time. if its placed low that is not good. Should be on side or top. and also make sure that doctor will tell you where the cord is atached to placenta -should be middle of it, otherwise not good.

don't let them brush you off. I noticed that Doctors here don't like being asked questions for some reason. it is our health, our babies and we have a right to know.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

ani_mal wrote: »
    xzanti ask questions about your placenta next time. if its placed low that is not good. Should be on side or top. and also make sure that doctor will tell you where the cord is atached to placenta -should be middle of it, otherwise not good.

don't let them brush you off. I noticed that Doctors here don't like being asked questions for some reason. it is our health, our babies and we have a right to know.

I'm pretty sure it's up over the baby.. Thanks though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Congrats to all you amazing ladies..... I'm genuinely in awe of all of you and the miracles you provide

ani_mal wrote: »

What's with the scaremongering?? Placenta previa has loads of time to move at 15 weeks even if it is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Mine is very low, I think there is .2 of a centimeter between it and the cervix at 22 weeks. But I was told that the stretching of that part of the womb is not until wk 30-40 so they will just monitor the position between now and then.

In the Coombe at first visit partners are not allowed into the medical history part of the visit at all. I was asked a couple of times during that visit about domestic violence.

"Has your partner ever hit you?"
    "Have you ever hit your partner?"
    etc...

Adrieanne are you serious about that? Wow that kind of thing would never have crossed my mind as part of a medical history exam! I wonder do Holles St. do the same? Will be interesting to find out!

@ecaf thank you so much that was really helpful, know a bit more what to expect now!:)

Yeah Lola, big notice on all the rooms saying that partners cannot attend this part of the visit. They are allowed accompany you for the blood tests and scan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Adrieanne are you serious about that? Wow that kind of thing would never have crossed my mind as part of a medical history exam! I wonder do Holles St. do the same? Will be interesting to find out!

@ecaf thank you so much that was really helpful, know a bit more what to expect now!:)

Yes H Street ask too, though in a more round-about way. I remember one question was "Since you got pregnant, have you ever been afraid to go home?". Naive me didn't get at all what they meant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Holles Street didn't ask me last year with my first or this time around. Didn't touch on that kind of thing at all. The first time OH was with me, second time I was on my own.

I agree with Adrienne about the scaremongering over placenta previa. I'm being monitored for it and hopefully with my next scan at 34 weeks all will be ok. Posts like that Ani-mal, the way you have written in it in such an alarmist manner are pretty unhelpful and could worry people. You seem to have a very negative opinion on the maternity system/doctors here I've noticed and a slight chip on your shoulder. Its not nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

On the placenta dont worry...
    Mine was low at around 19 weeks and im 37 weeks wednesday and it has sorted itself out..
    Its perfectly fine for it to be low at that time..They will just monitor it but defo not worth alarming yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Shoeymcshoe

Sorry to jump in here but didn't want to start another thread with a similar question. I have my first appointment with H St and I will be 16 weeks. I am aiming to go with the public midwives clinic but I have to be seen by the public consultant first to make sure my pregancy is suitable for that. My appointment is at 1pm - is this a case of "free for all" and I should turn up really early or will I actually be seen at 1pm?

This is my second baby but I had my first in a different hospital and privately so this is all new to me. Any ideas on what to expect and how long I might be waiting would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Hi Shoey, I don't know about Holles St. specifically, but I know from speaking to friends that have given birth in other hospitals a lot of appointments they do tend to be a very loose schedule.

ie, in Kilkenny hospital I was given the 9:30am appt. most days...as were approx. 40 other women :rolleyes:
    Probably no harm getting in 15 minutes early just in case :)

Regarding the Placenta, it seems to be very common for it to be low in a lot of pregnancies.
    Out of 5 women pregnant at the same time as me, 3 of them had the placenta low (including myself)
    Mine didn't move back up til baby was 32 weeks & I had a perfectly safe labour.
    Apparently as baby gets bigger, it can literally squish it back up to the top of the womb, or so I'm told :)

I got asked the same about the domestic violence and given leaflets on it :eek:
    It is really good that they're doing it I suppose, I was just really suprised at the same time!
    There's definitely been times where I haven't wanted to go home, but that's been more to do with the pile of ironing waiting for me :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Some times relationships can become abusive when there is a pregnancy, the stress and situation can be a trigger, so they ask and let women know if it is happening or starts to happen there is help and support and some times it's the mother to be is the one being abusive.

Advertisement