Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1gb of data with Meteor

Options
  • 17-06-2010 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Was wondering whether anyone with a Desire on Meteor ever goes over their internet data limit specifically 1gb? Also how much data would you use over the month with resonable use of the net?

Finally I presume that your 1gb is not used when using Wifi? (Excuse my ignorance)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Unless you are watching youtube for an hour a day, everday, download music onto the phone, you are not going to go over your allowance. General browsing will probably take upto 100 - 150MB. General updates another 100MB, and emails another 20MB. They are rough estimates, but fairly heavy average usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭SteM

Lawstud wrote: »
    Was wondering whether anyone with a Desire on Meteor ever goes over their internet data limit specifically 1gb? Also how much data would you use over the month with resonable use of the net?

Finally I presume that your 1gb is not used when using Wifi? (Excuse my ignorance)

Thanks!

The 1gb doesn't include any browsing over wi-fi. I just switch to wi-fi when I'm at home. There's a good app called 3g watchdog that allows you to monitor your 3g usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, as well as what antodeco said, you also gotta add on background downloads if you have them all running: Facebook, email, weather, RSS feed, autosync etc. These can add quite a bit. I was monitoring my usage with watchdog (essential free app) and I was running up about 1Mb an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

My Data Counter says
    335MB over WIFI
    160MB from my allowance
    since 25th May.

As has been said, unless you are watching loads of Youtube, downloading, streaming while you're on the go you might have an issue. But if you keep an eye on things you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I watch plenty of youtube vids and do a lot of facebook/emails/general browsing and haven't even gone over 250MB. I'm on the 1GB plan.

Once you have 3G watchdog and the Mobile Internet switcher on your homescreen you have loads of control over your usage. I just turn on the mobile internet when I want to use it, it also connects a lot faster than wifi haha

You can also set the 3G watchdog notification icon to only display when the mobile internet is switched on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

1gb a month translates to about 33MB a day, which is not particularly generous, so if you're solely reliant on 3G it would be a problem.

One youtube video is about 10MB, give or take, so if you watch one a day that's 300MB used. Add in stuff like last.fm streaming, twitter updates, facebook creeping (I'm not on facebook anymore but I assume this is still the nation's number 1 pursuit), viewing photos on picasa/flickr and general browsing (which uses more data than you might think) and you could easily go over that limit.

So really, you need to decide how often you'll be on wi-fi vs 3G.

If you can connect to a wi-fi network at home and at work you'll probably never come close to hitting that limit. Otherwise, you might have to consider getting a bigger allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

I genuinely think that telling people that 1 gig is plenty is bad advice. If you don't have another broadband connection like me you would easily use more than a gig per month. It's a smart phone, it does YouTube well, its great to watch videos on the fly, and a god send if you want to keep the kids quite, throw on a bit of mickey mouse, just get a sturdy case first

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

OI wrote: »
    I genuinely think that telling people that 1 gig is plenty is bad advice. If you don't have another broadband connection like me you would easily use more than a gig per month. It's a smart phone, it does YouTube well, its great to watch videos on the fly, and a god send if you want to keep the kids quite, throw on a bit of mickey mouse, just get a sturdy case first

Well given that the OP asked if wifi use was excluded, I presume he has wifi access.

OP was looking for feedback from existing users - vast majority seem to think 1gb is loads. To be honest, before meteor came out with the gig I had the 250mb package and never went over that!

Obviously if you haven't other accesss its problematico if you are a heavy user, but to be honest, i don't think id ever want to go over a gig on a phone.

Internet on phones are great for flicking around facebook on the luas (or the loo!) but wouldn't want to be doing all my interweb viewing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

1gb is loads. You'll do well to go over that in a month. Saying that, I have wifi at home, not at work though. I do my updates and app downloading at home on wifi and my browsing, emailing, google talking, world cup score-watching on 3g while i should be working!!

haven't come close to ever going over the 1gb. it's loads

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

If 1GB is enough depends on how you use your mobile. Contrary to popular belief it is not the users that do tethering that go over the limit.

Personally I stream web radio while walking to work. That is 15 minutes one way, 30 minutes in total. On weekends I might take a long walk and stream radio for 2 hours.

A 128 Kbps stream would consume about 20MB per day for weekdays (30 minutes per day) and about about 90MB on weekends (2 hours per day). That's 400MB for weekdays and 720MB for weekends - more than 1GB per month. And that doesn't even include web browsing or the odd Youtube video.

Some people (operators?) would argue that that's not was 3G was meant for and I would argue that this is exactly what 3G was meant for - I don't need 3G to do web browsing, I could do that on GPRS just fine 5 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The lady friend got an iphone on O2 up in belfast about 3 weeks ago. seems like a decent enough plan; £40pm - 600 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited data. Being the phone geek that i am i was intrigued by this promise of unlimited data and thus led me to question what the fair usage policy amount was. . .the guy confidently informed me that it's a huge 1gb - "you'll never use that in a month", was his follow up statement :rolleyes:

so O2 uk seem to think that a gig is an insurmountable mound of data

personally (htc hero), i've never used near 1gb in a month but i have my bookmarks set for mobile sites, i hardly ever go onto youtube, stream radio maybe an hour a week. if i had more data intensive interests i could easily see a gigabyte disappear more swiftly - as i'm sure some users do. these new handsets are designed to take advantage of large amounts of available high speed data

bottom line, 1gb is a fair lump of mobile data but keep an eye on your balance and adjust your usage patterns around it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just remember to be cautious when watching HiDef-only content on youtube. Though the smart-phone screen may not take advantage of the higher resolution videos, the download is still pretty substantial compared to regular definition videos.

My son used up his cap (100mb /day PAYG), then watched a 20mb youtube video, that cost him 20 euro to watch. :eek: There's a mistake he won't be making again in the near future. :)

Advertisement