Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuel Consumption, Motorway vs Backroad

Options
  • 17-06-2010 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have a 1989 Ford Transit Camper weighing approximately 3 tonnes based in Wexford. I’m planning a number of trips and would like to choose routes that help minimise fuel consumption. I’m trying to decide that if I was driving from Wexford to say Galway, should I cruise along by motorway via Dublin (Dublin to Galway now being entirely dual carriageway) or should I go cross country, using two laned roads with little overtaking opportunities and having to slow down to go through towns.

Distance wise, this may equate to 269km/167miles on motorway via Dublin versus 188km/117miles on two laned roads across country.

Can I ask forum users for opinions on a general rule of thumb ratio of how much extra distance is justified by favouring motorway over two laned roads.

Possibly a tricky one, but any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance for All Responses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Hi All,

little overtaking opportunities and having to slow down to go through towns.

Can I ask forum users for opinions on a general rule of thumb ratio of how much extra distance is justified by favouring motorway over two laned roads.

Thanks In Advance for All Responses

In fairness you are not going to be overtaking much in a camper. I would go the most direct route regardless of road type. I dont think you would save anything by driving an extra 50 miles (an extra 2 gallons of fuel at 25 mpg and the extra time to drive the 50 miles about an hour).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you have a big, bulky camper the wind resistance at 120 km/h on the motorway is going to gobble up a fair few liters of fuel.

If you can find country roads that allow for consistent driving without too much slowing down/accelerating you can do very nicely there in regards to frugality

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

My preference would be to take the motorway but cruise at 90-100k.

Once you get past Maynooth the traffic volumes are fairly light, you certainly wouldn't be holding up the show.

It might cost a little more between fuel and fares but the stress free nature of the drive still amazes me compared to the old N6.

Plus I suspect a 1989 tranny has no power steering? your shoulders will thank you for pointing it west in a relatively straight line :)

Just make sure you fill her up before leaving...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

*Kol* wrote: »
    In fairness you are not going to be overtaking much in a camper..

I think he is talking about overtaking opportunities for people behind his camper van!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

jd wrote: »
    I think he is talking about overtaking opportunities for people behind his camper van!

Probably. That's the beauty of a camper van. You are always at the front of a queue of traffic!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

You would have to be Bananas not to take the Main rds.there is a motorway almost all the way from Wexford to Galway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jinghong

bido wrote: »
    You would have to be Bananas not to take the Main rds.there is a motorway almost all the way from Wexford to Galway:)[/QUOTE

an extra 90k and about the same time by motorway
    no brainer, the direct route

Advertisement