Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grannies

Options
  • 17-06-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭

Someone just reminded me of my grannies and it made me smile!:)

Grannies are great because
    • They'd give you sweets when they thought your parents weren't watching
    • They can bake like nobody else, one of my grannies made the best apple tart and homemade bread
    • They would give you pocket money, my grannies would give me money for pictures I had painted
    • They never gave out to you:)
    • They had funny old sayings and stories
    • My grannies thought me how to play card games and gamble:p
    • They would always buy me sweets and buns
    • And the best thing was they were always happy and smiley:D
    Anyone else love grannies?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

my gran makes a lovely sunday roast, and if i'm ever staying the night and hungover, will make me tea and toast

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I don't know why i didn't start a thread about this before. I loved my granny. I spent nearly every weekend up at her house. She was a great cook, she made clothes for me, not to mention a few plush toys. Also, she got me into the habit of going to mass every Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

My granny was the best person in the whole wide world. She made the yummiest food, and she smelled like... comfort and safety. She was kind, and loyal and really smart. She played Barbies with me when I was a kid, and quizzed me on spelling all the time. We used to stay up really late, just talking and because she lived in a two story house, we'd always make a plan as to what we'd do if the house went on fire... I had some kind of irrational fear of house fires, and she took it completely seriously even though no one else did.

My granny was possibly the closest to perfection in a person. She died in 2001 and I really do still miss her but I know that I was lucky to have had such a wonderful lady in my life even if it was just for a wee short while.

<3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hillbilly999

I loved my grannies, they used to bake and give me money:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Their are some days I wish my grand-mothers were still here (May they both Rest in Peace)! One in particular would have been a rock to me when growing up and always had precious words of wisdom, that tbh I could do with right this week-end :o

- Never under-estimate the strength of character of your grand-mothers as they realise and know far more than you could even imagine!
    - Try not to take them for granted because one day you will realise just how valuable they are :)
    - Look after them if you're lucky to still have yours in your life.
    - Treat them with some unexpected niceties as they undoubtedly do with you.

I was lucky to have a rock like my grand-mother was to me when growing up, important for everyone I feel.

Just a week-end I miss mine and thought I'd bump this lovely thread to share some thoughts from others on their own grand-mothers as I was thinking of my own :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭BadGirl

Can I mention my Grandad here?

I spent the day with him today, he's not well and we had to go to A+E in Dublin and I drove him. He's 84, still drives, lives alone (although very close to my mam and a couple more of his kids) and he's a legend... :D Here are some of the things we were talking about today :)

was in A+E this morning waiting to be seen, there's a poster on the wall about safe drinking etc
    i said to him, is it really bad that i'm looking at that glass of red wine thinking i'd love one...
    I was just thinking the same he says :D
    then we got into a discussion about how it's funny when people talk about 'leftover' wine :pac::pac::pac:

so, we left the hospital, got a great run of green lights out and we said we'd have lunch in a pub on the way home (is normally 40-50 mins drive from where i was) we made it in 30 mins... i stop the car and he says.. 'As the man once said, thats the quickest ride I ever had, ha ha ha ha'

He was then telling Mam after we got home about how good of a driver I am etc etc, i said, here Grandad, did you not SEE the front of my car? (I scraped my front bumper a couple wks ago)
    ah, fucking SatNav he says.... it was the satnavs fault :D

He bought me lunch for taking him to the hospital, but apart from the crappy bit about being in the hospital, i really enjoyed our day....

Both my grandmothers are still alive too, but both are in nursing homes, my other grandad died when i was pregnant on my first child, I was awfully close to him too, and i regret every day that he hadn't the chance to get to know my children. They would have loved him.

Sorry, turned out to be a bit long....

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

BadGirl wrote: »
    Can I mention my Grandad here?

I spent the day with him today, he's not well and we had to go to A+E in Dublin and I drove him. He's 84, still drives, lives alone (although very close to my mam and a couple more of his kids) and he's a legend... :D Here are some of the things we were talking about today :)

was in A+E this morning waiting to be seen, there's a poster on the wall about safe drinking etc
    i said to him, is it really bad that i'm looking at that glass of red wine thinking i'd love one...
    I was just thinking the same he says :D
    then we got into a discussion about how it's funny when people talk about 'leftover' wine :pac::pac::pac:

so, we left the hospital, got a great run of green lights out and we said we'd have lunch in a pub on the way home (is normally 40-50 mins drive from where i was) we made it in 30 mins... i stop the car and he says.. 'As the man once said, thats the quickest ride I ever had, ha ha ha ha'

He was then telling Mam after we got home about how good of a driver I am etc etc, i said, here Grandad, did you not SEE the front of my car? (I scraped my front bumper a couple wks ago)
    ah, fucking SatNav he says.... it was the satnavs fault :D

He bought me lunch for taking him to the hospital, but apart from the crappy bit about being in the hospital, i really enjoyed our day....

Both my grandmothers are still alive too, but both are in nursing homes, my other grandad died when i was pregnant on my first child, I was awfully close to him too, and i regret every day that he hadn't the chance to get to know my children. They would have loved him.

Sorry, turned out to be a bit long....

He sounds like a real ticket :D I don't have any grandparents alive any more. Thread is making me miss them something rotten.

Advertisement