Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you handle losing?

Options
  • 17-06-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Im in need of advice guys and wondering how other people handle loses or rejections of some type.

Ive always been my own worst enemy mentally speaking, and for as long as I can remember Ive been a bit of a sore loser. I always try my best to cover it up but inside I feel sour and envious of whoever 'wins'. I put commas around that as although Im writing this as a result of seemingly constantly losing when competing in sports, I also refer to other competitive situations against others, such as someone else being chosen for a promotion in work or a girl/boy you like choosing someone else.

I do wonder how much importance to put on winning. On one hand what is the point of taking part if you dont go for the win? But then again, how much should you let a loss effect you? When do you say 'enough is enough' and walk away? I turn up to play every week (its not a team sport) and get battered - not even close. I work on my fitness to keep in shape but mentally Im not there at all.

Sometimes I make improvements and then go downhill again and I just fill with rage but Ill just make matters worse if I go off in a sulk.

To make matters worse, I know when/if I get a win a big deal will be made of it, something like "yaayhhh you FINALLY won" and Ill be like " F you you patronising w****r". Of course, I could find some other sport to play but Im not sure if thats the answer.

Anyway, how does everyone handle a losing streak or losing out a promotion in work or when someone you fancy goes for another?

Lads and gals views are important here as I think maybe women do have a different perspective on competing.

Advertisement