Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Cork 200 2010

Options
  • 17-06-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

This kicking off this Sunday 20th of June.

http://www.westcork200.com/index.php?Welcome

The route now starts and finishes at the leisure centre in Baltimore so cyclists have free access to the pool, showers etc...

Only going to do the 100 km myself, want to have enough energy for the bbq and drinks afterwards.

Anyone else heading down for it? Bring your camera is my only advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭albob

I'm "hoping" to do the 200k with a few other lads. Slightly concerned about this event's organisation this year.Small things like having to print out your own numbers to put on you back....is that normal? They are lucky its not going to rain.

Did it last year though and route is excellent (scenary wise). Hope the roads will be ok. The stretch from Drinagh back to Skibbereen last year was a bone shaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

50 euro entry fee is taking the proverbial.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

This kicking off this Sunday 20th of June.

http://www.westcork200.com/index.php?Welcome

The route now starts and finishes at the leisure centre in Baltimore so cyclists have free access to the pool, showers etc...

Only going to do the 100 km myself, want to have enough energy for the bbq and drinks afterwards.

Anyone else heading down for it? Bring your camera is my only advice!

Sounds good but there is a race in Cobh which should be an epic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

penexpers wrote: »
    50 euro entry fee is taking the proverbial.

Get over it, no one's making you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Get over it, no one's making you do it.

Penpexers is expressing a legitimate point about the entry fee , I've found that some of these sportives are certainly not worth the entry fee ( TDC comes to mind straight away) whilst other more moderate and less well publicised club sportives are well run for very modest entry fees. Nobody's making him do it , and maybe this particular one has prawn sandwiches and chardonnay at the food stops , but he's entitled to express his surprise at that entry fee ...as am I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Deisetrek wrote: »
    Penpexers is expressing a legitimate point about the entry fee , I've found that some of these sportives are certainly not worth the entry fee ( TDC comes to mind straight away) whilst other more moderate and less well publicised club sportives are well run for very modest entry fees. Nobody's making him do it , and maybe this particular one has prawn sandwiches and chardonnay at the food stops , but he's entitled to express his surprise at that entry fee ...as am I

Absolutely, and you're right, it is a forum for people to express their opinions. But there has already been a lengthy debate here about the cost which even the organiser himself was involved in. I just think maybe it's time to drop it....

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

To be fair, I also agree that €50 is a bit steep for the entry fee. Was hoping to do the 100km of this but shagged my ankle at Rage Against the Machine last week & haven't been out on the bike in nearly 2 weeks now so don't think I'll be up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Absolutely, and you're right, it is a forum for people to express their opinions. But there has already been a lengthy debate here about the cost which even the organiser himself was involved in. I just think maybe it's time to drop it....

Have done a search but can't find this debate - what was the organiser's justification ?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

albob wrote: »
    I'm "hoping" to do the 200k with a few other lads. Slightly concerned about this event's organisation this year.Small things like having to print out your own numbers to put on you back....is that normal? They are lucky its not going to rain.

Did it last year though and route is excellent (scenary wise). Hope the roads will be ok. The stretch from Drinagh back to Skibbereen last year was a bone shaker.

where did you get the info that you have to print out your number? wasn't planing on doing that1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

My apologies, didn't realise there was already a thread about this.

• Advertisement

longshank wrote: »
    where did you get the info that you have to print out your number? wasn't planing on doing that1

Maybe I am wrong. From their website:

"Your Jersey number will be punched at each check-in point, so locate your number so that it is easy to get at. As soon as you register, you can go. We will send an E mail to everyone with their event number. Please remember this number as it will greatly assist with check-in.......Your event number attached to your jersey will be punched at each check-in point.
    "

I got a letter during the week with my number. Dont really want an A4 page on my back so prob have a piece of paper in my pocket. Haven't done a huge amount of these so not sure what people normally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Just heard that all cyclists can pick up their numbers before 7am the morning of the cycle and pins are available too.

I think everyone is giving food vouchers also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 shopaholic86

Just to clear something up - all numbers will be ready to collect by all people entering - whether pre registered or not - from 6am Sunday morning in Cape Cod restaurant (around the corner from the leisure centre). They will be giving safety pins as well so if you don't have any don't worry.

There is also a "do" later on that evening in Casey's so if you want to attend and get your free food make sure to pick up a meal ticket from the organizers in the morning - they will be giving them out with the numbers!

Have a good time!!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 shopaholic86

Just heard that all cyclists can pick up their numbers before 7am the morning of the cycle and pins are available too.

I think everyone is giving food vouchers also.

Ha ha you beat me to it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭cantalach

Sorry but the route map is hilarious. They appear to have copied an OS map using a colour photocopier, drawn the route on this with a red pen, and then scanned it into a computer. If somebody doing the event on Sunday happens to meet one of the organisers, please put them out of their misery and tell them about Google Maps, MapMyRide, RideWithGPS, etc., etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

They had the same last year, afaik its so people can just print it off and take it with them on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Not wanting to hammer on with the organisation of this event but I also agree with cantalach - the route map is such an 'Irish' effort it's hilarious. Have these people not discovered Google Maps yet?!?

Maps aside, I just want to congratulate the organisers of this for a great day out yesterday. They seem to have taken a lot of last years criticisms on board and the food stops were a lot better this year. Freshly cooked fish at the mid-way point - fabulous! [May not be ideal energy food but perfect day by the sea in West Cork - excellent]
    The ride itself was very tough. A lot tougher than last year (maybe because my training was way down this year). The distance came in at 213km with total climbing over 2200m. The Bantry to Drimoleague section was unexpected and removed my will to live. Only that I was cycling with someone I'd have thrown my bike away.
    Anyway I hope word gets out of how well organised this years event was and more people take up the challenge next year. My one criticism was the tacking on of the extra section through Tragumna towards the end....but I understand that it was done due to
    a mis-calculation on the route distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Couldn't agree more albob what a fabulous day in West Cork. I didnt enjoy the last section from Bantry to Dromoleague and that section down to Tragumna and around was soul destroying. I was glad to get around it. I think the best part of the cycle is along the penninsula and then onto Bantry, it was just beautiful scenery. Overall was impressed with the organisers the route was well marked and food stops were well stocked. I'm looking forward to ROK already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Finished the 100 km just under the 5 hour mark so I'm pretty happy with myself. Only regret was I really could have done an extra 20 km around the coast after Goleen and just have it added on to my cert. Glad i avoided that hill after Bantry.

Was glad to be finished before midday, the heat was a killer. Jacuzzi and showers after were a nice touch. Highlight for me was definitely the hake i had in Durrus, it was divine.

Fairplay to the organisers, the food, road marking and stewards were all top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭cantalach

I heard that the organisation was hugely improved this year. So with the super route, sublime scenery around there and some excellent weather, it must have been a great day on the bike.

Regarding the miscalculation of the route length, and without wanting to labour the point, use of something like MapMyRide would have avoided this. It's free and takes about 4.6 milliseconds to figure out how to use it. I'm just sayin'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 eamonnquirke

I did the extra loop around Barleycove on top of the 100 and it came to 130km ..just my limit. Fabulous scenery some good climbs especially out from Durrus,a few dodgey stretches of road but got over them. Only crib I have is eventually got to Durrus for the hot food stop and it was a choice between Salmon and Hake I think....I hate fish.. Sandwiches were lovely though. Only a minor complaint, really enjoyed the day and all the stops were well manned. My race number must have been punched 400 times... Well done to all involved. Swim and Jacuzzi after brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

It was a superb day out, but much much tougher than the year previously. Probably because the route was shortened last year to 191k due to a dodgy road surface, so we did an extra 22k to make the 213K (although I clocked up 214K but what is a click or two amongst friends?).

The climbs out of Bantry were very special! As for the food stops ......great and lots of them. What about the yoghurt at Drimoleague??!!! I am definitely going to get myself some of that!

The meal after at Casey's was a nice touch.

Didn't see any Boardsie, where were you all hiding?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Just curious - how many did this? Might be one for next year. Went to Clare this weekend instead, and definitely dont regret that decision.

What about the yoghurt at Drimoleague??!!!
    Didn't see any Boardsie, where were you all hiding?

Yeah that yoghurt was scrumptious...however I was in the depths of hell at that stage and it didn't go down well with my system. Suffered for the next 25k after that.

Didn't wear by boards jersey...didn't want anyone thinking I was actually able to cycle!

damoz wrote: »
    Just curious - how many did this? Might be one for next year. Went to Clare this weekend instead, and definitely don't regret that decision.

There was an article in the "Southern Star" in May saying that there was 300 entrants. However the highest number I saw was 185 so suspect it probably came in about 200. I reckon the Tour de Burren swallowed up a lot this year.

Advertisement