Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds Nest

Options
  • 17-06-2010 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭

I just noticed within the last week a birds nest has been build in the Arch near my roof. I was just wondering should there be anything to be concerned about with regards to damage etc. Sorry for sounding stupid. I would prefare to leave it alone but I heard some people would prefer to remove a birds nest set up outside their house

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You'd probably get better advice over in the nature and bird watching forum, but as far as I know it's illegal to remove a nest with live birds in it. They're probably house martins - they're summer visitors who nest in roofs http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/housemartin.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

hi..
    There no harm although they can make a mess on the ground under the nest, this is why they are unpopular...

At this stage it's best left where it is as there may be eggs/chicks in the nest..
    Later in the year-autumn you can remove the nest as the birds will have migrated...

If you are unhappy with them building there keep a sharp eye next year and if they start building there again you can hose if off before it's built. They may persist a little but will get fed up and move on to build in another location well in time to rear chicks...

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Just hose down underneath the nest once a week and you shouldn't have any problems, these boys fly a few thousand miles just to setup a nest for the summer... so cut 'em some slack...

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Also along with bats, they eat copious amounts of flies, midges, mosquitoes...
    I welcome them with open arms..

Advertisement