Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nigella sativa +pancreatic cancer

Options
  • 17-06-2010 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi
    Family member has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Clinical trials in the US have shown promising results for extract of nigella sativa( black cumin seeds)
    Does anyone know a shop that sells Middle eastern (Egyptian) herbs in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As someone who does a lot of Indian cooking, you have to be careful with these things, as names can sometimes be misleading. You can get what are described as black cumin seeds from asian stores, but I don't think these are what you're looking for. They are like normal cumin seeds but black and a lot thinner.

Nigella seeds are commonly known in Indian cuisine as (black) onion seeds or kalonji.

There are plenty of Asian stores around in Dublin ... The Asian Food Market on Mary Street, or the Asia Market on Drury St. would be your best bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Very sorry to hear about your family member's illness.

Here's some information on nigella sativa from the MSK website.

Doing a search in PubMed and on ClinicalTrials.gov shows that there have not been any clinical trials yet (or underway) in the use of nigella sativa for pancreatic cancer. All studies in this area have been in cell lines in the laboratory and while there are some promising results there isn't any verifiable data on the appropriate dose/delivery mechanism in humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

I haven't even googled these seeds, so know nothing about them.

I am a Prostate Cancer survivor and have come across similar claims with other natural products wrt PC.

Please be aware that every so often, somebody posts somewhere on the net that 'such and such' a natural product "cured my (whatever type) cancer".

There are no 'magic bullets'. Most of these claims are posted by people who are selling these products and are simply preying on people who are hoping for something to make this ghastly disease go away.

Where you come across claims like this, check the mainstream Cancer research literature, before drawing conclusions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Condo131 wrote: »
    I haven't even googled these seeds, so know nothing about them.

I am a Prostate Cancer survivor and have come across similar claims with other natural products wrt PC.

Please be aware that every so often, somebody posts somewhere on the net that 'such and such' a natural product "cured my (whatever type) cancer".

There are no 'magic bullets'. Most of these claims are posted by people who are selling these products and are simply preying on people who are hoping for something to make this ghastly disease go away.

Where you come across claims like this, check the mainstream Cancer research literature, before drawing conclusions.
    I am an oesophageal cancer survivor - I always ran any such things against my oncology team.

Advertisement