Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Canal Cycle

Options
  • 17-06-2010 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Myself and some friends were thinking of cycling a section of the Grand Canal on a weekend. has anybody else cycled a section of it? We would be coming from Dublin - is it possible to cycle out of the city I know they're close to completing a city seciton very soon?

Not hoping to cover any huge distance - maybe cylce for one day and camp and then cycle back the next day?

Any advice / experience?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

Last year, I cycled from Naas to Dublin so it's quite doable as long as the ground isn't too soaked. Cycling along the Grand Canal has been discussed a few times: most recently here and here. You could use the "Search this forum" feature to find the other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 plinkfizz

that's great Ant - thank a mill - I tried to do a bit of a search earlier but didn't find them - cheers! It's been pretty dry recently so that bodes well

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DCU lad

its paved mostly but there are a few places that are fenced off with a 6ft fence and a closed off tunnel which means you have to do a bit more cyclo cross stuff and hop over a fence and make your way across a field full of horses beside the traveller camp at kylemore as long as you dont mind that, its doable, just a pain in the arse...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

• Registered Users Posts: 9 simonhumphries

Hey folks,

Heading out from dublin along the Grand Canal manana. Has anyone here cycled from Shannon Harbour (last stop) to Cloondara (most westerly point of Royal Canal) - going to come back to Dublin on this towpath. Don't want to be on main roads. Travelling solo with a trangia. Any advice?

Muchos Gracias

• Advertisement
Advertisement