Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myfi

Options
  • 17-06-2010 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Howdy. Got myfi last night and am scared to use it as it turns on tethering. I don't have a tethering add on and only apn settings I have set are the live.vodafone.com
    do you reckon it will be spotted by vodafone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

I would be careful with that too. I have heard that o2 charge 2c per kb for data tethered outside there assigned tethering bandwidth. I installed pdanet but am nervous about using that too for my wifi iPad. Let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Howdy. Got myfi last night and am scared to use it as it turns on tethering. I don't have a tethering add on and only apn settings I have set are the live.vodafone.com
    do you reckon it will be spotted by vodafone?

You don't need tethering if you have a MyFi, that's the whole point! You just turn wifi on and access the MyFi as you would any other router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I reckon the poster means the MyFi application via Cydia or Rock and not a hardware MiFi device.

MyFi enables a mobile hotspot using your iPhones data connection as the default gateway.

MiFi enables a mobile hotspot using a dedicated sim card and data plan.

Cheers
    You don't need tethering if you have a MyFi, that's the whole point! You just turn wifi on and access the MyFi as you would any other router.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

hshortt wrote: »
    I reckon the poster means the MyFi application via Cydia or Rock and not a hardware MiFi device.

MyFi enables a mobile hotspot using your iPhones data connection as the default gateway.

Cheers

Correct. Using cydia app. When I activate it the tethering bar comes up at the top of the screen.
    Does this mean I'm actually tethering and will vodafone know this!!?

I would expect that in the setup of the tethering, a handshake between the iPhone and Vodafone occurs where the iPhone effectively says, "I'm going to send that isn't coming from me"

That said, they may not actually do any separate type of charging for it. If you have a data bundle allowance and keep within the limits, then they may treat it as just data consumption. But, then again you could get a nasty bill if you don't check that out. I would expect it's on their terms and conditions, but probably a phone call would give you peace of mind.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

hshortt wrote: »

Cheers

Ok, but think the app is called MyWi isn't it?

Yep, nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Apologies.

Advertisement