Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird of Passage ? Dawros. ID anyone?

Options
  • 17-06-2010 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

A friend sent me this pic of a strange bird squawking out on the Dawros Peninsula, Donegal, last month.
    She took it on a mobile phone so quality and zoom are not great but the bird outline can be seen quite clearly.

dawrosbird.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

From that pic it is almost impossible to make out what it is. If my arm was twisted and going on the habitat I'd had have a stab at a stonechat as it seems to have a dark head but again that is only a stab in the dark! Sorry can't be of more help

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Thanks anyways. I know it's a difficult one, espec with no easy scale object in view. I dread being shown mobile phone pics, myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

Certainly looks like a stonechat, but did she hear the alarm call maybe? If she doesn't know much about birds she may not have realised that she was hearing the stonechat's alarm call.

My friend would have seen and heard stonechats quite a lot. I wonder if it was Wheatear or even a ringed plover, as both of those are numerous and nesting out on Dawros Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Hello Durnish, my guess would be a Wheatear.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/w/wheatear/videos.aspx

• Advertisement

I am thinking that as well. They do present a orangey front, rather than a noctilucent cloud, and also have that distinctive tail fan seen in the outline.

Durnish wrote: »
    I am thinking that as well. They do present a orangey front, rather than a noctilucent cloud, and also have that distinctive tail fan seen in the outline.

Oh, very good description there, I do believe you are correct with the noctilucent effect. Hadn't thought of that.....

Comet Wee Tear,
    I shall mail my friend immediatment!

Durnish wrote: »
    Comet Wee Tear,
    I shall mail my friend immediatment!

:D:D

Advertisement