Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Genius tip for taking a Lady on a First Date

Options
  • 17-06-2010 7:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've never tried this myself, just so you know. It's a tip I read on Reddit; maybe you'll have some use for it:

Never tell a girl where you’re going or how to dress. Instead, tell her to "dress for a first date with a guy she really likes". Now, pick three places you'd like to go: someplace fun and active (bowling, pool, mini golf, go-kart racing, etc), something romantic and classy (nice restaurant, upscale bar, art gallery exhibition) and something in between (nice bar, coffee shop, comedy club). Now, when you pick her up, let the way she's dressed decide which you’re going to do: If she's wearing something sexy and revealing (dress, high heels, low cut top, etc.) than she wants to go somewhere classy and romantic. If she's sporting some jeans, tennis shoes or flip-flops, and a tee, the bowling ally or pool hall may be a good bet. If she's wearing jeans, high heeled boots, and nice top or blouse, than she's not really jonesing for the super romance treatment, and she put in more effort than mini golf deserves (eighteen holes of mini golf in heels... seriously?), so a comedy club or some place with live music is a good choice. And never, EVER, do a movie on the first date! EDIT: Men: You're going to wear a pair of CLEAN, NEAT jeans, a pressed stylish LONG sleeve button down shirt, nice shoes or boots (try to avoid runners).
    Works for ANY occasion!

Best of luck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

As I woman I disagree 100%. I wouldn't feel comfortable going on a date unless I knew where we were going. In fact I thin I would cancel if I was left in the dark. Your going on a date not treating a 5 year old child! Also what if the girl thinks 'Oh, we must be going for dinner' so doesn't eat much then you land her in a pub or whatever? What if you take her to see a band she hates? It's just bad advice and show bad manners IMHO. I really hope no guy follows this advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

actually I quite like it - a bit of spontaneity and a surprise could be lots of fun, and if it all goes horribly wrong but you still like the guy then you just say where you would like to go for date number 2. Of course if you don't like him, then meh, you just don't arrange date number 2 at all :)

g'em wrote: »
    actually I quite like it - a bit of spontaneity and a surprise could be lots of fun, and if it all goes horribly wrong but you still like the guy then you just say where you would like to go for date number 2. Of course if you don't like him, then meh, you just don't arrange date number 2 at all :)

I would like a surprise or whatever if I guy or boyfriend who knows me well, who knows I would like the venue etc. Also a guy might think high heals = club but to me it wouldn't.

But I think it's important to know if you should eat before going out. I wouldn't enjoy a date with my dream man if I was starving. All I would be thinking about is food!

I really think doing by following this advice it's more likely to not lead to a second date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I like the spontaneity as well - it would certainly be more interesting and make for a better conversation piece than sitting in the cinema in silence or swapping awkward questions over dinner....I'd also have no qualms saying if I was starving and then suggesting going somewhere to eat - I don't know why anyone would just sit there starving! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

mood wrote: »
    I really think doing by following this advice it's more likely to not lead to a second date!

for you perhaps, whereas I'd love a guy to put so much thought into it that he'd plan a few different dates with me all to be decided on a whim - it sounds like a fantastic fun and I'd get a real kick out of it! And that's the beauty of us gals - we're all different ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

g'em wrote: »
    that's the beauty of us gals - we're all different ;)

It's both wonderful and terribly confusing. Men like formulas. :D if x then y else z. :D

I like the spontaneity as well - it would certainly be more interesting and make for a better conversation piece than sitting in the cinema in silence or swapping awkward questions over dinner....I'd also have no qualms saying if I was starving and then suggesting going somewhere to eat - I don't know why anyone would just sit there starving! :)

Well I would like a say in where I go. And don't think venue should be decided based on my clothes.

Also, I don't live in Dublin so if a guy decided we were going bowling based on the fact I wore flat shoes and I was starving it would be hard to find anywhere to eat without having booked in advanced. Obviously I wouldn't seat there starving but wouldn't like having to go somewhere not so nice to eat while my date eats nothing (because he already had dinner).

I would be nervous enough on a first date without having the pressure of not know what to wear, not know if I should have dinner before hand or not etc.

Maybe it would be ok to suggest this 'tip' to a girl and see if she likes the idea or not. Obviously some girls here would be on for it but I wouldn't.

It would have to be an exceptionally small town not to be able to find a food outlet at some stage...apart from the fact that you always have the option of asking if a meal will be involved so you know whether to eat or not before you go when asked out - I don't think the spontaneous choice of activities has to revolve around food & eating & being starving/full anyway, does it?

If you live somewhere where there isn't the choice of bowling, pool, mini golf, go-kart racing, nice restaurant, up-scale bar, art gallery exhibition, nice bar, coffee shop, comedy club to choose from then the OP hardly applies in that situation, does it?

In fairness, I don't get worked up about first dates, it's just a bit of fun at that stage. I also don't like the old fashioned formal dating "rules"...so the OP's suggestion suits people like me, I guess. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

First dates can be hard enough for some people so I can see why it wouldnt suit everyone. Personally I like it, mystery element is kinda cool. :)
    Also, theres nothing to say that this couldnt be done on a second or third date once all the first date jitters have passed!

Wacker wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've never tried this myself, just so you know. It's a tip I read on Reddit; maybe you'll have some use for it:

Never tell a girl where you’re going or how to dress. Instead, tell her to "dress for a first date with a guy she really likes". Now, pick three places you'd like to go: someplace fun and active (bowling, pool, mini golf, go-kart racing, etc), something romantic and classy (nice restaurant, upscale bar, art gallery exhibition) and something in between (nice bar, coffee shop, comedy club). Now, when you pick her up, let the way she's dressed decide which you’re going to do: If she's wearing something sexy and revealing (dress, high heels, low cut top, etc.) than she wants to go somewhere classy and romantic. If she's sporting some jeans, tennis shoes or flip-flops, and a tee, the bowling ally or pool hall may be a good bet. If she's wearing jeans, high heeled boots, and nice top or blouse, than she's not really jonesing for the super romance treatment, and she put in more effort than mini golf deserves (eighteen holes of mini golf in heels... seriously?), so a comedy club or some place with live music is a good choice. And never, EVER, do a movie on the first date! EDIT: Men: You're going to wear a pair of CLEAN, NEAT jeans, a pressed stylish LONG sleeve button down shirt, nice shoes or boots (try to avoid runners).
    Works for ANY occasion!

Best of luck.

and if she's not wearing anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Tefral

glasso wrote: »
    and if she's not wearing anything?

Dear Diary...

JACKPOT

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

As I woman I disagree 100%. I wouldn't feel comfortable going on a date unless I knew where we were going. In fact I thin I would cancel if I was left in the dark. Your going on a date not treating a 5 year old child! Also what if the girl thinks 'Oh, we must be going for dinner' so doesn't eat much then you land her in a pub or whatever? What if you take her to see a band she hates? It's just bad advice and show bad manners IMHO. I really hope no guy follows this advice.

Bad manners is the last thing it shows. To me its exciting, creative, fun and different. The one thing i would say though is maybe its a bit much for a first date. An excellent idea for a second date because it shows the guy to be interesting, confident and adventurous- 3 qaulities girls really go for!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Never tell a girl where you’re going or how to dress. Instead, tell her to "dress for a first date with a guy she really likes".

Am I reading into this too much or is there a contradiction in there?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Am I reading into this too much or is there a contradiction in there?

I took it to mean deliberately not being specific ie formal or casual...why she wouldn't be dressing for a date with a guy she likes anyway and has to be told that, is different issue... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Saying "for a guy you really like" sort of implies formal. Although on the flip side saying "wear whatever you like" sounds very casual... Tricky business this dating business...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Hi Guys,

Works for ANY occasion!

Best of luck.

God that really is putting far too much thought into a first date, just bring her for a few drinks in a place that's not packed and plays good music, that way you know you can't go wrong

Galvasean wrote: »
    Saying "for a guy you really like" sort of implies formal. Although on the flip side saying "wear whatever you like" sounds very casual... Tricky business this dating business...

I see what you mean. Perhaps it would work better by dropping the "for a guy you really like" altogether...surely it's a given that it's for a guy she likes and she knows it's their first date. Even saying to her that the plan is to create a date around how she dresses if she asks would work quite well as a novel approach...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

As with everything in life and love, it's a case of adapting to the situation at hand. Some girls will love this and others won't. It's your job to discern which type the girl in question is before trying something like this on a first date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

I like the idea in theory, but I wonder if most girls, not knowing where they are going, would go the 'safe route' and dress not too dressy, not too casually, so you would never use the upmarket restaurant or bowling options, it would always be the middle one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Ive done something similar before back in college when we had no money,it was kinda kinda cheesy but spontaneous.
    Basically it was meet me at a certain bus stop. I then brought her out to the promenade by the sea, coffee in a local cafe and then a stroll back into town as the sun went down over galway bay!

It was a great date!

Id do it again. Women may say they dont like this sort of thing but in truth they love a bit of mystery and spontaneity.

• Advertisement

Kooli wrote: »
    I like the idea in theory, but I wonder if most girls, not knowing where they are going, would go the 'safe route' and dress not too dressy, not too casually, so you would never use the upmarket restaurant or bowling options, it would always be the middle one.

Exactly. That's what I would do I guess.

Also, one girls casual could be another girl dressy so they might not feel dressed for the type of venus the guy chooses based on his interpretation of her clothes.

skelliser wrote: »
    Ive done something similar before back in college when we had no money,it was kinda kinda cheesy but spontaneous.
    Basically it was meet me at a certain bus stop. I then brought her out to the promenade by the sea, coffee in a local cafe and then a stroll back into town as the sun went down over galway bay!

It was a great date!

Id do it again. Women may say they dont like this sort of thing but in truth they love a bit of mystery and spontaneity.

That sound lovely. But as someone who normally wears heals going out I wouldn't have wanted the long walk that's why I feel you need some idea of where your going or doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 forest gunner

Interesting thread this.
    Ive got a first date this weekend actually and tbh Im not experienced in dating at all. Im playin it safe and just havin a few quiet drinks in a pub.
    Im just gonna try get the basics right - washed and shaved, neat but casual clothes, do any buying thats needed and just hope for the best.

I suppose better try and talk too..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Interesting thread this.
    Ive got a first date this weekend actually and tbh Im not experienced in dating at all. Im playin it safe and just havin a few quiet drinks in a pub.
    Im just gonna try get the basics right - washed and shaved, neat but casual clothes, do any buying thats needed and just hope for the best.

Here's a tip: be sure to have more to talk about than just your job, or lack thereof. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

That sound lovely. But as someone who normally wears heals going out I wouldn't have wanted the long walk that's why I feel you need some idea of where your going or doing.

Theres always the Piggy back .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

You know it's weird, I always hear that the cinema is terrible for a date, but I know a woman who all she wants to do is to go to the cinema for a date heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Interesting thread this.

Leading questions - that is the way to go on a first date with a girl.

Oh - and don't be late.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good idea but not for a first date, sounds good for a date when you're together a while as a nice surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I like a surprise. Shows his imagination etc...I like structure, but find the sit down, candle lit meal marlarkey on a first date is a bit too much. Gimme a few games of pool, some beer and a laugh and I'm all yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Let's not get personal, people! Thank you.

Advertisement