Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetic Refused Critical Illness Cover

Options
  • 17-06-2010 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

I had applied for critical illness cover and life insurance about a month ago with Zurich Life. I filled in all the forms and my doctor filled out the form they sent him. I am not on any medication for my diabetes, just diet and excercise.
    I got word back today that they are refusing to give me critical illness cover and are adding a hefty lump onto my life insurance quote.
    Is this the case with all insurance companies, I was told my diabetes should not affect my insurance.
    Can anybody recommend a diabetic friendly company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

The following information is from the DFI website

"Life insurance
    There is no avoiding that the insurance market will always load for diabetes whether it is type 1 or type 2. Loadings vary between insurers based on their assessment of the individual’s health and management of their diabetes.

In some cases insurers refuse to quote if they feel the mortality risk is too high. Still at other times they postpone a decision until some future date, perhaps six months or 12 months, to see if certain improvements can be achieved.

Such decisions can be particularly traumatic for someone buying a house.

Mortgage lenders will usually insist on life cover being in place before allowing the funds to be drawn down to complete a purchase. If cover is not available the purchaser may be unable to proceed and forfeit their deposit if contracts have been exchanged with the builder.

Anyone over 18 can enter into a life insurance contract. The motto should be that the sooner you arrange life cover the better.
    Income protection
    No progress here. It is not available on an individual basis but may be available on a company group basis.
    Specified illness cover
    Again, cover is unavailable on an individual basis. An exclusive group plan is available to members of the Diabetes Federation aged between 18 and 60.
    Cover is on a whole-of-life basis and does not stop at some arbitrary age such as 65, but continues for all of one’s life."

The Diabetes Federation do have an agreement with an insurance company that provides life assurance, if you call them they will give you the name of it - I can't remember.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Thanks,
    I'll have a look through the web site. I havent used it much yet apart from a quick glance when I was diagnosed, is it a good resource for diabetics to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

It is a good resource for people with diabetes living in Ireland but there are a lot more sites with more comprehensive information.

www.itsmyinsulin.ie

www.diabetes.org.uk

www.dlife.com

are just a few.

Advertisement