Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Started driving at what age.

Options
  • 16-06-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

hey all, i know this is a wrong question to ask in this country, but is there many people here who started driving before the age of 17 (legal age). I myself did it wen i was 13 in a another country ofcourse.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭shogunpower

7 in a 1989 1.3 dual carb civic, the manual choke was handy for starting off,,3 cushions under my ass

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭mumof3angels

rememer driving my Uncles car ( cant remember what age maybe 15-16) and wedged it to the side of my parents house. Me and my 1st cousin thought if we just lifted ( ya lifted ) it we could get it away from the house needless to say this did not work had to wait for my uncle to come home to move it was very funny ( not at the time) but jes yrs back you could drive on the roads and not worry not now too many boy/girl racers out there ( yes I am including girls cause they are just as bad ) lol to the new generation xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭RobertM

About 12-13 in a Renault 21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

15 on a motorbike. I did drive stuff before then (Dad's car) but never really learned, it was more "pedal to the floor I'm moving"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I started when I was 15, just around the house, getting used to the whole clutch / cutting out thing :P

I found it really valuable though as when I eventually took my first lesson, I made great progress as I wasn't spending a whole lesson or two learning which pedal did what etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

Got my first car at 10, an 85 starlet. We had a big garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Did not learn to drive till I was 35:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

15. 1993 1.6L glxi mitsubishi lancer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

About 14 or 15, in my dad's citroen XM.

I still miss that car - nothing i've ever driven since comes close to comparing with it imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I think I was about 12/13 when dad took me for a lesson round a local caravan park.
    He brought me for a few lessons there then a few lessons on minor roads. It could have been a Ford Cortina, I think it was actually.
    Didnt really drive that much again till I was around 20. Got a license at 24 and my first car at 27.
    Was glad I could drive so young but never needed a car till I was a good bit older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Bout 11 or 12 driving da auld fella's combo van, there's about 4 miles of good enough farm roads in the grandparents so got loads of practice in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I was 16 i think when i first learnt to drive.
    But then I didn't drive till I was 22, which is now...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭erwinvr101

only learned to drive last year at 33 years of age. crazy huh... never wished to learn to drive before as i witnessed, 12 years ago, a road accident which got a bicycle rider killed as he was rammed by a truck. to this day i can still see that horrific scene clearly in my head like it just happened yesterday.

anyways, it's my wife who got me into driving and i'm also glad i did as we now have a baby and i just couldn't imagine not having a car around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

11 years old behind the wheel of my dad's old bedford truck.

In a straight line was easy enough but trying turn it around was next to impossible as it had no power steering and I was only a wee squirt of a lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

13 in a Massey Ferguson 590, beast of a tractor.
    Was working on a silage crew soon afterwards in a even more powerful John Deere, driving the roads at 15.
    Not good looking back on it now to be charge of tons of machinery and trailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Tractors - literally as long as I can remember, sitting on one of my uncle's knees, doing the steering while he did everything else! And gradually learning how to use the other controls, as I got old enough to actually reach them.

Cars - in an empty field, with my uncles again, as soon as I could see above the steering wheel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

learning at 12 in a 92' rover 214 sli! i know big laughs! lol. but valuable experience when it came to doing lessons for the full test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

started at 13 driving my mothers micra as my father didnt want me driving his car!!! Driving all sorts of machinery at 15 when i was working on a farm he also had a sawmills. Took my test at 18 without lessons got one tick a grade 3((tnk dats wat it was it was the lowest tick u cud get). To this day no accidents, no penalty points invalauble lessons where learned back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 D.a.v.i.d

13 i think, 91 Daihatsu Charade 1.0 diesel. By 14 i was reversing 20ft trailers round the yard, and 15 got meself lumped inta the tractors, David Brown 1412 and a 1410 with no synchros! Bloody nightmare, had ta stand up ta get the clutch down all the way tongue.gif
    Did my DTT wen i was 16, got Learners wen i was 17, passed test first time just before my 18th.
    TBH if you have an old car or tractor and a field r two, use em! Boosts confidence and helps your judment if want ta drive young!
    18 now, driving "legaly" for just under 2 years, no crashes, dents, or points.
    Sorry for the life story! biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,144 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

46 last October for a car - still on a Learner permit.
    24 or so for a motorcycle - have a full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Started driving cars at 23 and now driving trucks at 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

uhh...17? :o

Advertisement