Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Higher Maths Textbook

Options
  • 16-06-2010 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good textbook for self teaching higher level leaving standard maths please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Text and Tests 4 & 5 by O.D. Morris should do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Text and Tests 4 & 5 by O.D. Morris should do the job.

I used Text and Tests 4 and 5 for self-teaching about 15 years ago. I found them quite difficult and advanced. A few years later I heard that this was also the general opinion from maths teachers at the time.

Since then many other text books have been written, indeed text and texts 4 and 5 may also have been rewritten in this period. I don't know about much about the current books.

I would say ring up a few schools and ask them which book is on their book list for higher level- you may then get an idea what the preferred choice is currently.

PM me if you are interested in getting a maths grind in the south dublin area :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

well, i used Texts & Tests 4 and 5 for my leaving last year. it might be a bit hard when you don't have a teacher to explain, but you could looking at the useful links sticky above if you get into any trouble. some good links there.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Text & Tests 4 and 5 FTW!
    If you find them in any way difficult then you should add T&T 3 to that list, using 3 as an introduction to the topics in 4, you should then be well able to handle 5 without much trouble.
    I used 3,4 and 5 as a self teaching crash course when I started college level maths and found them fantastic.
    One of the few book which is fully self contained, no need to look for extra material on any topic they covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RodSteel

Thanks guys, picking them up today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

This post has been deleted.
    There is a single-volume edition of Aidan Roantree's book but I never seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rioga na hEireann

RodSteel wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good textbook for self teaching higher level leaving standard maths please?

"project maths notes" is good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

WARNING: this is a recently resurrected old thread. The syllabus has changed since the recommendations in the first 7 posts were made, so I would suggest that they should be considered obsolete.

Hopefully, the OP has long since fulfilled his or her dreams of mathematical competence, having bough a book 7 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

WARNING: this is a recently resurrected old thread. The syllabus has changed been shockingly dumbed down since the recommendations in the first 7 posts were made, so I would suggest that they should be considered obsolete.

FYP :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement