Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds Attacking Silage Bails

Options
  • 16-06-2010 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I have finished second roll of tape patching. I have a scare crow, ribbon strung across from side to side and just put up a dead crow on a stick. Dose anyone have any subjections as to how to stop birds from attacking bails.
    John
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Madjackjr wrote: »
    I have finished second roll of tape patching. I have a scare crow, ribbon strung across from side to side and just put up a dead crow on a stick. Dose anyone have any subjections as to how to stop birds from attacking bails.
    John

Tip them on their ends. Paint them with white paint or with good smelly pitch - they don't like that. I find that hanging up a dead crow only attracts more crows - its like an old time wake where they go mad and celebrate his/her life by destroying more of your bales :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

put one bale higher than all the rest they will land on this one, then get the grease gun and squirt shots of grease on to it they look like slugs but taste like ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

3-4 blobs of grease on each 1 - baled 160 bales last sat greased em all excpt 1 -159 with grese on em were fine next day the 1 without was riddled with holes ive been doing it last few years and works best ive tried twine, bags on sticks, paint other than a net over em the grease is best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

ellewood wrote: »
    3-4 blobs of grease on each 1 - baled 160 bales last sat greased em all excpt 1 -159 with grese on em were fine next day the 1 without was riddled with holes ive been doing it last few years and works best ive tried twine, bags on sticks, paint other than a net over em the grease is best

how much grease would you need for that job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Seen something years ago on tv of a thing they put up in a zoo to stop crows coming into pens and bothering rhinos or something. They had a big cardboard box with coloured circles like an archery board on it. Tried it myself with bales and worked a treat. Its something to do with the birds recognising the circles as a predators eye or something.
    Look stupid bt works in my experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

When I stack bales in the yard I don't have any problem with crows pecking them. Standing bales on end out in the field only makes the problem worse as they peck the lighter plastic around the edges and they also walk around the bale on the ground pecking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Bouble barrell shotgun and plenty of cartridges :D

Painting circles works alright but the grease idea is a new one to me. Must give it a go.

Also removing them from the field they were made in works too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

How about using a 'ladder trap'.

They can get in by tucking in their wings, but cant get out as they have to open their wings to fly out.

You could take them on a little trip then after a day or 2.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZLYiOn83Po&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

a few rolls of patching tape

scudster wrote: »
    Bouble barrell shotgun and plenty of cartridges :D

Also removing them from the field they were made in works too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Seen something years ago on tv of a thing they put up in a zoo to stop crows coming into pens and bothering rhinos or something. They had a big cardboard box with coloured circles like an archery board on it. Tried it myself with bales and worked a treat. Its something to do with the birds recognising the circles as a predators eye or something.
    Look stupid bt works in my experience

I've seen that method used very successfully with bales too:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 deise8

if un unravel the tape from old video cassettes and wrap a few long strips of the tape onto bamboo cane or electrical condute lenghts and stand them upright adjacent to where you are storing the bales, the tape will flutter in a light breeze and hopefully do the trick

Advertisement