Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning faulty iPhone

Options
  • 16-06-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

I have an iPhone since Christmas, and I have a few issues. The silent button is SO crap. Half the time I switch it and absolutely nothing happens, other times it vibrates in my pocket, which is extremely annoying as I think it's a msg and all I see is the silent mode icon!

The battery is sh*te!! I religiously followed the advice of charging it fully and letting it run down until it powers off. Now I have to charge it every single day. I never, ever have 3G turned on, and only have wifi connected when I am at home. I also never really use apps that regularly, although I do txt quite a bit, but that shouldn't be a huge issue...or should it? Also, does anyone experience delays of up to 2 days when sending MMS msgs? I've often sent a picture via MMS and the person will recieve it randomly up to 2 days later.

I've been researching online about returning it for repair/ replacement. Has anybody been through this process in Ireland? From what I can gather the moisture sensors are extremely sensitive, and they will charge you if they are moisture activated which they are in most cases? Also I have the usual scrathes from general wear and tear. So I probably am f*#ked and will have to pay for it all myself?! :confused:

Any input is greatly apreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Live4Ever wrote: »
    I have an iPhone since Christmas, and I have a few issues. The silent button is SO crap. Half the time I switch it and absolutely nothing happens, other times it vibrates in my pocket, which is extremely annoying as I think it's a msg and all I see is the silent mode icon!.

I have same problem. If you figure out how to fix it, let me know!

Re: the other stuff.

Just send back for repair; scratches etc don't matter if the fault develops with the phone within warranty (only if they determine you've wet or dropped it).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

I had an issue with the silent switch on my 3GS (under warranty). I called Apple customer care and they had a replacement out to me within a week.

Regarding battery life, you don't need to do a full cycle - topping it up every night is standard for this type of device.

If you want to conserve battery power, turn off push notifications & location services.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I had my 3GS replaced two weeks ago because of the faulty silent button - same issue as yours (my headphone socket was also dodgy). As it's less than a year old I just phoned Apple Support and they organised to collect it and send me a new one.

How old is yours? Get the IMEI# of your handset and enter it here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

This should tell you if it is still under Apple warranty If it is - they'll probably send you a new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

If you want to conserve battery power, turn off push notifications & location services.

Yeah, I did that. I donwloaded one of those battery conservation apps that gives you advice on how to save battery life.

A replacement was out to you in a week? That's very quick, I presumed it was a horrific 2-3 weeks without my iphone!

Dades wrote: »

How old is yours? Get the IMEI# of your handset and enter it here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

This should tell you if it is still under Apple warranty If it is - they'll probably send you a new one!

Well i got it a few days before Christmas, so I presume 6 months later it's still under warranty? I'll use the link anyway and make sure, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If you give them credit card details, they may send you a replacement next day, and they don't charge unless you don't send back the old phone. Not sure if this is just a service they offer under the AppleCare though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have an iPhone since Christmas, and I have a few issues. The silent button is SO crap. Half the time I switch it and absolutely nothing happens, other times it vibrates in my pocket, which is extremely annoying as I think it's a msg and all I see is the silent mode icon!
    Is it jailbroken? Very occasionally I'll mute it and it doesn't vibrate, but the switch always works for me either way.
    The battery is sh*te!! I religiously followed the advice of charging it fully and letting it run down until it powers off. Now I have to charge it every single day. I never, ever have 3G turned on, and only have wifi connected when I am at home. I also never really use apps that regularly, although I do txt quite a bit, but that shouldn't be a huge issue...or should it?
    In my experience, the two things which will kill your battery quickest are:

1. Any kind of network usage (calls, surfing, streaming, whatever)
    2. The screen being active.

It doesn't really seem to matter what kind of apps you're using, if your screen is lit up, then your battery is being drained. Try changing your brightness settings and you should see a good improvement. However, if I had my phone active for a lot of the day (how many texts are you sending?) I would expect it to be nearly dead by the end of the day. The battery is just that ****e.
    Also, does anyone experience delays of up to 2 days when sending MMS msgs? I've often sent a picture via MMS and the person will recieve it randomly up to 2 days later.
    Could be anything, but it's usually network issues. I know of some people where it routinely takes 2 days for a message to appear on their phone, even though sending to other people is fine.
    You also mention that you usually have 3G turned off. If you are sending a large MMS (i.e. one with a photo), the phone may struggle to get a decent data rate/connection to transmit it over 2G.
    However, the most likely issue is the first one, it's probably nothing to do with your phone.
    I've been researching online about returning it for repair/ replacement. Has anybody been through this process in Ireland?
    I've been through this process, with an iPhone that had some slight case damage. The process was quick and painless and I had a brand new phone about 4 days after I'd rung Apple.

seamus wrote: »
    Is it jailbroken?

However, if I had my phone active for a lot of the day (how many texts are you sending?) I would expect it to be nearly dead by the end of the day. The battery is just that ****e.

I've been through this process, with an iPhone that had some slight case damage. The process was quick and painless and I had a brand new phone about 4 days after I'd rung Apple.

No it is an o2 iPhone. I have the brightness at about 35-40%. I send about 50 texts a day, so I guess this is slighly above average...

Yeah, I guess the problem is with the network, although i did read recently that Apple diagnosed a delay in sending messages as a fault!

That sounds very reassuring! I guess there is no ham in sending it away to them so. The silent mode and its vibration setting is a nuisance

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

A replacement was out to you in a week? That's very quick, I presumed it was a horrific 2-3 weeks without my iphone!
    If you call them on a Monday you'll almost certainly have a replacement by the end of the week. Mine took a day or two longer because UPS fcuked up the collection address - but when I used the support system last year it only took 3 days all in.

whiterebel wrote: »
    If you give them credit card details, they may send you a replacement next day, and they don't charge unless you don't send back the old phone. Not sure if this is just a service they offer under the AppleCare though.
    I believe they charge a non-refundable €35 to give you a replacement iPhone when they are taking away your old one. They also require your CC details to charge the full price in case you do a runner or something.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Dades wrote: »
    If you call them on a Monday you'll almost certainly have a replacement by the end of the week. Mine took a day or two longer because UPS fcuked up the collection address - but when I used the support system last year it only took 3 days all in.

I believe they charge a non-refundable €35 to give you a replacement iPhone when they are taking away your old one. They also require your CC details to charge the full price in case you do a runner or something.

Must have just been a perk of having the APP then....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

The batteries are crap on them .full stop .

Advertisement