Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite jobs

Options
  • 16-06-2010 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭

Lots of negativity on here people.

farming should be something you love too.

What are your favourite jobs?

Mine is undoubtedly drawing in hay, small squares.

Hard work, but so so satisfying cracking open a can or bottle of something cold at the end of the day with a fine bench of hay built in the shed.

love it. rarely get to do it, about 5 years now since I've had the chance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

getting a live calf out of a cow after a hard calving - very rewarding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Opening the gate on a fine spring day and letting out the cows with their young calves.

Workload goes through the floor, no more cleaning sheds and opening round bales.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

pakalasa wrote: »
    Opening the gate on a fine spring day and letting out the cows with their young calves.

Workload goes through the floor, no more cleaning sheds and opening round bales.:D

++1
    Turning cattle out on the fields is the business..
    Our winter is from 1-Nov to 1-May so it's always good news to get them out..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

With out a doubt...Mowing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

going to the mart with my weanlings, after a years work to see does everyone else think they are any good, and then opening a big cheque and looking at it for a time and start to write cheques for all the bills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Cashing the SFP:D

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Cashing the SFP:D
    yup the delight of actually seeing it in your account is brill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Letting the cattle out is always great. They seem so happy to be free!! And I'm happy to only have to check them instead of having to do all the winter feeding and husbandry that goes with them in a shed.

My favourite job is the mowing for hay or silage. Even back in the days with a 5'6" mower, I used to love doing it. Even more so now I've a comfy tractor and trailed mower :D

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭poor farmer

small square baling of hay or straw the heat dust and only 1 knotter working happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭babybrian

milking cows, takes up a bit of time but usually no surprises and handy work. And sometimes you might even get a chat from a quiet cow with her head in the door waiting to get in..simple things in life!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

whelan1 wrote: »
    yup the delight of actually seeing it in your account is brill

The Karma, doesn't last too long, when it sinks inexorably into the overdraft mire:eek:,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

babybrian wrote: »
    milking cows, takes up a bit of time but usually no surprises and handy work. And sometimes you might even get a chat from a quiet cow with her head in the door waiting to get in..simple things in life!!!!

or on a cold morning with all the cups on and nothing to do for a minute, sticking your hands in between their thighs and the bag, oh the cosy cosy warmth of it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Lambing!

Love the time of year, days getting longer, weather was excellent - aside from bad growth - as I wasn't getting hail stoned, snowed or lashed with rain.

Great feeling when they start arriving healthy, ewes with milk, lambs standing for the first time and looking to suck the ewe, drop of iodine, drop of spectam and away they go.

Knock off a few problem foxes as well, so they can rest a bit easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

working with livestock,

for almost 40 years I have been building up a easy to work dairy herd and sheep flock which now in my advanced years makes farming an absolute joy.

my favourite task is gathering the sheep with my collies which is where i'm off to after this cuppa:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

+1
    I made 450 square bales of hay yesterday and got it into a shed last night.
    first time i have made square bales myself (spent years slaving with the auld man at them)
    a great sense of satisfaction last night!

2 questions:
    any harm in bringing them straight in, i stacked them loosely on slats and i will stack them properly in a few week time
    what are square bales making at the moment and what do they normally make in the spring?
    JohnBoy wrote: »
    Lots of negativity on here people.

farming should be something you love too.

What are your favourite jobs?

Mine is undoubtedly drawing in hay, small squares.

Hard work, but so so satisfying cracking open a can or bottle of something cold at the end of the day with a fine bench of hay built in the shed.

love it. rarely get to do it, about 5 years now since I've had the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

If the slats are clean and the shed is good and airy then I'd say great

taking the last load of slurry out of the slurry tower

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

whelan1 wrote: »
    getting a live calf out of a cow after a hard calving - very rewarding

+1

also used to love milking on a fine summers evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

crusing down the lane on the quad for the cows on a fine summers morning.
    and knowing even at that hour we are in for a scorcher.

(after one or two of these im usually praying for rain);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Love that feeling when it has just rained on a fine summers evening, the rainbow is out and there's a lovely light feeling in the air.
    That kind of evening when the young calves decide to race one another up and down the field.

Surprised that so many enjoy milking - I always thought it was a pet hate for everyone.

Best of all for me though is watching a new born calf find it's way on outo-pilot to the cows teats - that never ceases to amaze me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

The actual job of milking is great, its just the twice a day, every day of the year thats a bit of a pain

The actual job of milking is great, its just the twice a day, every day of the year thats a bit of a pain
    ye and the thoughts of having to go home on a lovely sunday evening to milk can annoy you but other wise its grand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

on a july evening when no calves need feeding spins dont need to be washed everything is going straight into the tank. Cant beat it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭John deere 6920

drawing in silage =) good times

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

backin up silage with a two wheel drive crystal and a bad rake the whole day was a struggle off to the pub for a few bottles of cider best summers ever

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

locky76 wrote: »
    +1
    I made 450 square bales of hay yesterday and got it into a shed last night.
    first time i have made square bales myself (spent years slaving with the auld man at them)
    a great sense of satisfaction last night!

2 questions:
    any harm in bringing them straight in, i stacked them loosely on slats and i will stack them properly in a few week time
    what are square bales making at the moment and what do they normally make in the spring?
    no harm at all if the hay is fit making 3 euro at the moment you would get 3.50 to 4 euro out of the shed depending on quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

I like the animal husbandry aspect. The genetics and selection of AI bulls.
    I enjoy halter training too.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

charityboy wrote: »
    no harm at all if the hay is fit making 3 euro at the moment you would get 3.50 to 4 euro out of the shed depending on quality
    yeah, i'll hold on to it all i think, a few small bales always comes in handy and it should keep for a couple of years

Advertisement