Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

becoming a hairdresser in carlow??!

Options
  • 16-06-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone can help me out. I have just finished college and have decided that while it was good to get my degree, I'd much rather look into hairdressing as a career.
    Does anyone know what salons in Carlow take on apprentices? I applied to Peter Marks but their waiting list seems quite long. Would any one also know of other ways train in carlow? I'm in a tricky situation in that I really can't afford to do unpaid training or training that would rule out energy for a job also. :o
    A FAS type course would be great or an apprenticeship, I really do want to follow this career path but to be honest I feel I'm starting to get on a bit so don't really want to have to wait too long for something to come up especially as I know how long training can take...
    Anyway if any one has any info it'd be great- thanks a million!
    XoXo:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

jojo86 wrote: »
    Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone can help me out. I have just finished college and have decided that while it was good to get my degree, I'd much rather look into hairdressing as a career.
    Does anyone know what salons in Carlow take on apprentices? I applied to Peter Marks but their waiting list seems quite long. Would any one also know of other ways train in carlow? I'm in a tricky situation in that I really can't afford to do unpaid training or training that would rule out energy for a job also. :o
    A FAS type course would be great or an apprenticeship, I really do want to follow this career path but to be honest I feel I'm starting to get on a bit so don't really want to have to wait too long for something to come up especially as I know how long training can take...
    Anyway if any one has any info it'd be great- thanks a million!
    XoXo:D

I doubt that any salon will commit itself to taking on an apprentice at present as they are all struggling and don't need any extra overheads.

My suggestion would be to approach a salon and offer to work gratis for a couple of saturdays as you need to make sure this career choice is the right one for you and grass is always greener on the other side!! I assume that you know that the level of pay for apprentice hairdressers amounts to slave labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

I doubt that any salon will commit itself to taking on an apprentice at present as they are all struggling and don't need any extra overheads.

My suggestion would be to approach a salon and offer to work gratis for a couple of saturdays as you need to make sure this career choice is the right one for you and grass is always greener on the other side!! I assume that you know that the level of pay for apprentice hairdressers amounts to slave labour.

I know some qualified hairdressers that would say their level of pay would amount to slave labor also..

I would really think it true and make sure its what you want before jumping into something..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭scallioneater

Why don't you just cut your friends hair at home. If you feel you need to work with someone, approach another homecutter and apprentice with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

Back Menu

Retrieve Job Details

Job location = kilkenny
    Location = Waterford, Wexford, Carlow, Tipperary South, Kilkenny, Wicklow or Waterford, Wexford, Carlow, Tipperary South, Kilkenny, Wicklow
    Results : 60 Jobs

Job 60 of 60 [previous]

Source: Employer / Job created on :- 20100618 / Job Updated on :- 20100618
    Apprentice Hairdresser

Job Reference: JB553309
    Description:
    Hairdresser, junior position available in Kilkenny City. Ideal candidate will have some experience, 1st/2nd year level and be capable of carrying out washing, blowdrying and tinting.
    No. of Jobs: 1
    Contract type: To Be Advised / Full Time
    Days per week: 5
    Hours per week: 39
    Start date: Immediate

Requirements
    Experience Required: Some Experience.
    Salary: JLC/REA rates Euro
    Display Until: 18/07/2010
    Other Information, Interview Arrangements or contact person for this vacancy
    Please Note: Contact arrangements must be followed exactly as stated by the employer as they are the preferred method of contact for this job.
    Phone or call to premises: Crowns Hair Design Ltd, Pudding Lane, Ormond St, Kikenny. Tel No: 056 7786009
    Employer:
    The Employer has requested that interested candidates follow the instructions under the 'Other Information' section or Use the [Apply] link if available

Job 60 of 60 [previous]

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

forget about Peter Marks and the likes...there quailifcations are are only recongised inhouse and with other hairdressers. Stick to FAS, I think they have a training centre up accross from the Maxol garage on the O'brien road.

If you ever want say to go to Oz or whereever you will need the recongized quailifcation. peter Marks wont give you this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Why don't you just cut your friends hair at home. If you feel you need to work with someone, approach another homecutter and apprentice with them.

+1 on this, I could do with a good trim!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭jojo86

hey sharky-didnt know carlow FAS had any training facilities, would you know any more info or who to contact to find more info? Can't find much from Google-typical....
    See I'm in a position where I need to be able to make some money or something too cos im broke so I'd have to be able to have a evening job with a course or something...
    I was looking into the carlow IFE they run courses but the website doesnt offer HUGE amounts of info and when I emailed them I was told to check the website...ugh...
    Anyway thanks for the advice and stuff, and to be honest, I need a bit of training before I go chopping my mates hair!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lylex

does anybody know the allowance for FAS hairdressing under 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

jojo86 wrote: »
    hey sharky-didnt know carlow FAS had any training facilities, would you know any more info or who to contact to find more info? Can't find much from Google-typical....
    See I'm in a position where I need to be able to make some money or something too cos im broke so I'd have to be able to have a evening job with a course or something...
    I was looking into the carlow IFE they run courses but the website doesnt offer HUGE amounts of info and when I emailed them I was told to check the website...ugh...
    Anyway thanks for the advice and stuff, and to be honest, I need a bit of training before I go chopping my mates hair!!

Carlow IFE courses don't start till September, but if you are thinking of going there I would suggest getting the name of the course co-ordinator from the web-site, then phoning them for an appointment to talk about your possible interest in doing the course. I did 2 course there and found the co-ordinators and tutors extremely helpful. Good luck.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Lylex wrote: »
    does anybody know the allowance for FAS hairdressing under 18?

You would be better off asking here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861
    madmaggie wrote: »
    Carlow IFE courses don't start till September, but if you are thinking of going there I would suggest getting the name of the course co-ordinator from the web-site, then phoning them for an appointment to talk about your possible interest in doing the course. I did 2 course there and found the co-ordinators and tutors extremely helpful. Good luck.:)

Thread is 4 years old.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement