Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet possible in ballinalee without a phone line?

Options
  • 16-06-2010 5:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I know its possible to get broadband through your telephone line in ballinalee but unfortunately we are not enabled on the exchange. Does anyone use mobile broadband in the ballinalee area and if so what are your thoughts on the service.

Thanks
    jim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭SeanW

Edit: I just realised you are already aware that Ballinalee is BB enabled, so I'll leave that out.

If your line is inadequate, Lastmile 'Broadband' (www.lastmile.ie) has a mast on Cairn Hill as well as Drumlish and Granard. Best bet would probably be to check out one of those 3G mobile broadband thingies.
    Satellite BB is also an option but it has such high latency (ping time) as to be useless for gaming and not much help with Skypeing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ElectricShock

Thanks for the fast response sean. That last mile looks interesting im just gonna have a look at that site now. I know someone who used three mobile broadband in my dads house (ballinalee) and the speed was terrible apparently.

This was about 6 months ago so it might have improved since then.

Thanks again mate
    jim

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I've heard nothing but horror stories about Last Mile - have a look on the Broadband Forum

I'd go with one of the standard mobile operators - I've used O2 and found them great here in my area.

I'd also recommend a Dovado Router. You plug your mobile broadband USB dongle into it and it turns it into a regular wireless (or ethernet) connection that other people in the house can use also. It also means you can find a spot in your house with good reception on the dongle, and leave it there.

Cheers deadl0ck i might give o2 a try im sure they offer a 28 day trial. As for the router ive been looking at this one which is dirt cheap hopefully it will work.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/174406

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I think most of them do a trial - actually I think you can go to the store and pay a deposit and borrow a modem to try ou tthe signal etc.

Just make sure the router you buy supports the dongle as some of the newer models aren't supported yet.
    You may have to buy an older second hand dongle on adverts.ie if you're stuck.

Edimax also do a 3G router that's pretty good : Here's one on eBay

• Advertisement

I seen that edimax router on ebuyer but the postage is terribly high. I have just bookmarked that link to the one on ebay (the postage is really cheap:D) i will most likely go for that one. When i arrive in ireland i will pop into longford and borrow a modem from each supplier to see which is best.

Thanks again for all the advice mate.
    jim

Advertisement