Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TSM question...

Options
  • 16-06-2010 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

I know there is a thread for such questions but to be honest, I'm hoping for a bit of advice/clarity on some serious musings I'm having...

Currently doing the LC. It's going well.

I am between two options at the moment. Firstly, I'm interested in doing the TSM and pairing Philosophy with Psychology. I've read through some material on these subjects but I was hoping anybody who has done this pairing might have some advice!

My second idea, a big one, is to do Science. I like Math and Biology, even to the point of doing an olympiad in Bio...but I've done no chemistry or physics since the JC. I wonder if I should do a course that will have me take up chemistry...

I've read threads on science though so I don't really need advice there, my question is...would the TSM combo be a better degree career wise?...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I don't know how many times I've said this but I'll say it again; do what you are interested in, not what careers you might get. If you don't do what you're interested in, you wont enjoy the course and will do shit, simple as that. There's no jobs and to be honest a degree in a subject doesn't qualify you for a particular career (except for medicine, pharmacy etc...). So do what you're interested in, not what will give you the best degree combination.
    Also, it doesn't matter that you haven't done physics or chemistry since the junior because what you learn in the leaving cert is generally discredited anyway. I did a degree in geography, but I didn't study geography in the leaving cert, so trust me it's not impossible, it just requires hard work like everything.
    So really, do what you're interested in, not what might give you the best career opportunities. Also, what you learn in secondary school is discredited horse shit, so don't worry about not having done physics and chemistry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

I agree about not doing something solely based on careers but it is always a factor, if you get me. I would not put it before my enjoyment of the course. The reason I'm interested in those TSM options is mainly because the two areas generally interest me, not because I know a lot about them. I'll keep thinking it over but thanks for the reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

One thing to consider about those two options is that Science tends to have much longer contact hours - maybe 2-3 times what you'd have with TSM Psychology & Philosophy (which is probably under 20 hrs in the freshman years). There's obviously a lot of work in each, but the proportion of independent research, reading, and motivation is a good bit higher with TSM (as you'd expect given the fewer contact hours), again especially in the freshman years. Don't know if anyone can comment on the proportion of exams vs continuous assessment or anything like that, but it's worth thinking about which would suit you most.

Re: Chemistry, there's usually a 1-week preliminary course offered to incoming students before the term properly starts, which is designed specifically for people who haven't taken higher level chemistry at LC but will be studying it as part of their college course - so that option would be there if you were going for Science.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Glad to help!
    I'm doing what was a two year masters condensed into one, I literally went from a human geography background into a crash course in organic chemistry, no prep work, straight into the thick of it. I never did chemistry for the leaving but I'm doing my thesis on stable isotopes for sea level reconstruction. Trust me it can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

El Siglo wrote: »
    Glad to help!
    I'm doing what was a two year masters condensed into one, I literally went from a human geography background into a crash course in organic chemistry, no prep work, straight into the thick of it. I never did chemistry for the leaving but I'm doing my thesis on stable isotopes for sea level reconstruction. Trust me it can be done.

Thanks to you for all your great advice, and to Clare H too, it really helps me out. I've mostly been apprehensive about the chemistry but I think I'll go for it, might even borrow my friends LC book...in like August or something, have to have a break :rolleyes:

Thanks again!
    -J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Speaking as a former Chem Olympiad who did Science and later transferred into TSM Psychology & English...

For the love of God, do what you're passionate about, not what you're smart enough to do or are particularly good at or think will be the better career option. Passion in university trumps technical ability without genuine interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

transferred into TSM Psychology & English...

Have that combination down on my CAO, what do you think of it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Mazda wrote: »
    Have that combination down on my CAO, what do you think of it? :)

I love it beyond words. Be warned, it is tough. There's a lot of coursework in the first term, for example, and you do have to keep on top of it. And don't get disillusioned with something like literary theory and realise later you don't understand it at all. And research stuff for exams yourself. Seriously. Once a week, take the reading list, go to the library, and start working through it.

It is incredibly rewarding, though.

Advertisement