Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lend your nutrition secrets

Options
  • 15-06-2010 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

The one area of my running and triathlon adventures I have constantly underperformed at is taking in the right nutrition and fluid before and after and maintaining a level of nutrients during an event or run. No matter how attractive the fitness model is in front of the nutrition book, I can't motivate myself to read it. It would be fantastic if seasoned runners like yourselves could divulge any secrets of coping with nutrition, which won't overload the brain. Particularly advice on marathon plus distance running
    would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

White pasta/bread/rice are the DEVIL stick to whole meal.

Also 5-6 meals a day of smaller portions can actually aid weight loss as it stimulates the metabolism. With large meals spread out the metabolism slows down to compensate for the lengths of time in between meals.

Turkey as a low fat sub to chicken

Coming up to races high protein intake from about 10-5 days before event after this cut protein and substitute with high carb intake. The idea is the protein aids recovery during taper though is hard to digest which is why it is cut down 5 days before to allow protein to be fully digested and prevent digestion problems during event. From here on the carbs provide fuel for your body to burn during event

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Chlorella. For pure physical strength. Started taking this a couple of months back after hearing great things and I have to say its the real deal. Has made an unbelievable difference to my recovery times.
    Be warned though, its a very powerful detox so it takes your body a couple of weeks to get used to it. Worth it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

tunguska wrote: »
    Chlorella. For pure physical strength. Started taking this a couple of months back after hearing great things and I have to say its the real deal. Has made an unbelievable difference to my recovery times.
    Be warned though, its a very powerful detox so it takes your body a couple of weeks to get used to it. Worth it though.

In what form?

The wiki (as reliable as it possibly is/isn't) isn't too positive about it..
    At its onset, Chlorella was suggested as a "dirt-cheap" protein supplement to the human diet. However, later studies proved otherwise. Chlorella actually loses most of its nutritional value when altered or processed in any way. No longer considered an effective protein, pro-Chlorella supporters focused on other supposed health benefits of the algae, such as claims of weight control, cancer prevention, and immune system support

• Registered Users Posts: 33 NinjaStudent

Thanks ecoli, seems simple enough, I haven't taken my overall food intake into enough consideration, too focused on my next run.

Think ill leave Chlorella until the next great war tunguska!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

connundrum wrote: »
    In what form?

The wiki (as reliable as it possibly is/isn't) isn't too positive about it..

Powder form. I read this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrive-Nutrition-Optimal-Performance-Healthy/dp/0738212547/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276702186&sr=1-3

and there was section in it about chlorella. This is guy is and athlete and he got great benefits from using chlorella so I gave it a bash. Like I said I found it to be amazing stuff, my recovery from training has improved massively. I could talk all night about why you should try chlorella etc but at the end of the day its the type of thing you wont know if it'll work for you unless you actually try it.
    Remeber though: POWERFUL DETOX

• Advertisement
Advertisement