Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting Keyboard to my Mac

Options
  • 15-06-2010 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

I have a Mac G5, running Final Cut Studio. I have recently decided to buy a keyboard and synth, always wanted to be able to play something. I want to connect both to my edit suite so I can record and mix tracks. It would save me hours of messing about with settings if someone could give me the pocket guide to making them talk to each other.

The G5 has a Decklink Extream Capture card.
    The Keyboard is a starter one, the Yamaha E323
    The synth is an M-Audio Oxygen25
    I have a Midi to USB cable, which would bypass the capture card.

The G5 also has Garageband, but not the latest version. I opened it the other day for the first time, can't get a peep out of it, haven’t tried to hard yet either.
    Can I use Soundtrack Pro with the keyboard?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

NealB wrote: »
    I have a Mac G5, running Final Cut Studio. I have recently decided to buy a keyboard and synth, always wanted to be able to play something. I want to connect both to my edit suite so I can record and mix tracks. It would save me hours of messing about with settings if someone could give me the pocket guide to making them talk to each other.

The G5 has a Decklink Extream Capture card.
    The Keyboard is a starter one, the Yamaha E323
    The synth is an M-Audio Oxygen25
    I have a Midi to USB cable, which would bypass the capture card.

The G5 also has Garageband, but not the latest version. I opened it the other day for the first time, can't get a peep out of it, haven’t tried to hard yet either.
    Can I use Soundtrack Pro with the keyboard?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

The M-Audio is a controller keyboard as opposed to a synth. Unless soundtrack has instruments build it it's not gonna be much use. My advice would to be stick with Garageband, have a read through the help files if you can use video editing software garageband won't be very hard. Just plug in the oxygen and forget about the other stuff for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭NealB

Yeah you're right, guess I just have to get on with it. I'll have a look a garageband this evening and read the help files.

Is garageband any good? Any one wnat to suggest better software?

Advertisement